Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What options are necessary and which are not?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What options are necessary and which are not?

Going to buy a 14 Unlimited Rubicon and get back into a Jeep. Previously owned 06 LJ, 04 Rubi, 99Sahara, 83 Cj7 (still have), 80 CJ5. What factory options are worthwhile, and which should be done aftermarket? Specifically, leather or cloth and upgrade later? I like leather, it is easy to clean and durable, but I hear mixed reviews about the factory stuff. Maybe Katskins or some other aftermarket brand is a better option. I also MUST have seat heaters. I guess cloth with good seat covers could work, but can't find a Jeep with cloth and set heaters. How about the radio? All factory radios seem to suck, but the bluetooth integration is nice. What do you like and recommend here, why? Finally, body colored tops and flares, they look great, but I have a sneaking suspicion the scratch and nick rather easily. Oh, one more radio question, can the Rubicon be had without the subwoofer, it takes up a lot of good space I could better use for packing. Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a '13 2-door JK Freedom Edition because of the unique Commando Green color, the heated cloth-centered leather wrapped seats, the painted fenders with the black hardtop, the Rubicon rock rails, the Bluetooth Alpine Sub Woofer stereo and the automatic which mates very well to the 3.6L VVT engine. This is my 3rd Wrangler. All I lack is a rear locker for now.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I got the connectivity group package. So glad I did. Gives you a USB connector in the center console. Also gives easier access to the settings of the EVIC. I also got the package with the subwoofer. It's ok, but no thumping bass.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by sf jakey
... I guess cloth with good seat covers could work, but can't find a Jeep with cloth and set heaters. How about the radio? All factory radios seem to suck, but the bluetooth integration is nice. ...
I've seen aftermarket seatcovers with optional seat heaters.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Mark, I'm making my seat covers heated. Buy the kit off eBay, and just install it on the underside of the seat covers. Should work fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

After owning my Rubi for a bit these are the options I'm glad I have and/or wished I would have got.

Have on my Jeep and love:
- Uconnect 430N
- Remote start
- Body-color hard top and fenders
- 4.10 axle ratio
- Max tow package
- Connectivity group w/ Bluetooth (my X came w/ it but having USB in center console is nice as well as BT for handsfree phone use)

Wish I would have added to my Jeep:
- A/C w/ Auto temp control

Quick Reply: What options are necessary and which are not?