Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are these two detailed build codes?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these two detailed build codes?

I got the detailed build report for my used Jeep I just bought recently and see two codes that I have questions about:

CURS Rear Compartment Covered Storage
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System

The first one makes me think I should have some cover for the back part of the Jeep like I did for our old Highlander. You could put a screen or something right behind the top of the seats and pull a runner out to the back of the trunk to hide anything you have back there. Is this accurate for this code or something else?

The second one implies that I should have some type of alarm system. It didn't come with any remotes, has manual locks and manual windows. The key is not chipped but has an 'S' on it. I know the Jeep doesn't need a chipped key as I got a spare one cut at Walmart and was able to start the Jeep just with that. Any ideas what I should be looking for on this?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CURS - rear compartment storage tray. It's in the back storage area.
GXXS - your key has a security chip in it. It's not an alarm per se but prevents the Jeep from running without the proper key.

At least that's what I found with a quick google search.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the search. I stopped in at the local dealer to find out as well.

Seems the CURS is a carpet piece in the trunk and not some cover to hide things in the trunk.
The GXXS is indeed the chipped key which inhibits the running of the vehicle. Apparently my spare I got made from Walmart (non-chipped) while it can start the engine it shuts off after a couple seconds. So basically it is a valet key I keep in my wallet in case I lock the keys in the Jeep when the hardtop is on.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm...from what I read it's the plastic storage tray in the storage compartment, not that it matters.

You can program a third key yourself as long as you have two Sentry keys. You must buy the properly chipped key and have it cut. Then, follow the instructions in your manual to program the third key. The programming process will require you to insert both Sentry keys at certain points in the programming and then the new key. If you loose one of the Sentry keys before making a third key, you will have to go to the dealer to replace a key. More money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Programming.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	583175

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-07-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CURS Rear Compartment Covered Storage

In the back of your Jeep, there should be a compartment above where the jack is. The cover is a carpeted cover that goes over this compartment. Has a little black plastic "d" ring that keeps the cover on.

Quick Reply: What are these two detailed build codes?