Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whats wrong with 18" wheels?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both wheels but I dont like the SRA tires. I would like to get the 17" wheels and the Wrangler Silent Armor tires. They seem close to tread of my Wrangler AT-S tires I run on my YJ but are a lot better according to Goodyear. Anyone else run with these tires.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Sahara had the 18s on it but I had them switch with another Sahara on the lot and put the 17s on. I plan and changing the tires anyway so I wanted the 17in wheels and didnt want to pay the extra cost for the 18s. Just my opinion but I think the 18s look a little to big for the 2-door.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the 18's on my jeep.
Maybe next year when I get snows I will go for the wee ones but until then... 18 are on mine and they look good!

It does come down to personal choice. I have seen some nice tires/wheels that are smaller (namely those for the off-road) but when I compared jeeps on the lot with 16 or 17 to my 18 it was a no-brainer. The same can be said about the colour- to each his/ own.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Well I recieved a call I didn't like.
It seems that there's such a backlog at the DC JK plant that my February 23rd delivery has been delayed to at least mid to end of March .
So...dealer says they have same only in Green & with 18" wheels.
He claims that the 17" would not work since the transmission is for 18.
I don't believe him.
Can I demand to have 17" wheels be put on instead of the 18's?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

He's lying or clueless. The two rim sizes have more or less the same radius, as covered earlier in this thread. They compensate for the gearing in the rear end. Not the transmission. Even 16" wheels can be speedo corrected with a computer flash.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with 18" wheels?