Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Bearings

Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

I went to the dealership last week b/c I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. They could not reproduce the problem so they sent me on my way. Now, I am on the downhill stretch from the mountains in Phoenix, Az and I heard a loud metallic pop...I think my wheel bearing went out.

Does anyone know how many wheel bearings are in the front axle/hub?

And, will my tire fall off if one wheel bearing breaks?

-sittin' on the side of the highway waiting for a reply....
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks. well if it is a wheel bearing that went south i wouldnt drive it any farther. you will just cause more damage. i believe there is one bearing per side.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

If the hub is like the XJ, which look to be the same design, there are two bearings in each hub. They are really close together, though.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

depending on how bad it broke your wheel could come off if you keep going. stay put call jeep roadside assistance and get it to the dealer.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If the hub is like the XJ, which look to be the same design, there are two bearings in each hub. They are really close together, though.
thanx for correcting me, i wasnt positive on 1 or 2 bearings
Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question, what made you think you had a bad bearing in the first place?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZNTS

And, will my tire fall off if one wheel bearing breaks?
If the inner bearing let's go (shatters, explodes, melts) the wheel will probably not come off. With the wheel flopping you will lose control.

If the outer bearing let's go the tire will come off. Soon. At highway speed you might get it stopped before the wheel can ride off of the outer bearing.

Probably too late for you now but for future reference...If you suspect a wheel bearing is bad or going bad jack the suspect tire off of the ground. Try to steer the tire left and right. Gently. Don't rock the jack. If the tire doesn't move much the bearing might be good. If the tire does move, let's say 1/8" across the tread, at least one bearing is bad. Replace them both. Try this next time you replace or rotate your tires. Just grab the tire and try to steer it. There will be a hair of wobble but not much.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernnz
If the inner bearing let's go (shatters, explodes, melts) the wheel will probably not come off. With the wheel flopping you will lose control.

If the outer bearing let's go the tire will come off. Soon. At highway speed you might get it stopped before the wheel can ride off of the outer bearing.

Probably too late for you now but for future reference...If you suspect a wheel bearing is bad or going bad jack the suspect tire off of the ground. Try to steer the tire left and right. Gently. Don't rock the jack. If the tire doesn't move much the bearing might be good. If the tire does move, let's say 1/8" across the tread, at least one bearing is bad. Replace them both. Try this next time you replace or rotate your tires. Just grab the tire and try to steer it. There will be a hair of wobble but not much.
If there is a hair of wobble, it will be in the steering parts. The unit bearings are quite heavily preloaded; no play. So, any play in the bearings is bad.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what was the outcome here?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found out it was not the wheel bearing, but it cost me a very expensive tow to find out and I"m glad I didnt drive it any further. The ball joints in my tie rod became loose on one side and both were messed up. When I would take a left turn the slack would cause the tie rod to flip back and smack the knucle. That in conjuntion with the steering shaft that pops caused the noise and the feel. I got a new tie rod/ ball joints and the loud noise went away, but I still have that pain in the ass noisy steering column. I will be shooting some open gear grease in there this weekend. Thanks for the replies. I had to call my wife and have her type the OP, and because she was stressed out that I had my 3 year old boy in the Jeep I didnt bother asking her to post the outcome / thank you. thanks to all for the fast reply.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings