Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wheel slip and steering wheel vibration.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel slip and steering wheel vibration.

Im a new member with a 2011 jk sport two door. The only modification i have is an air freshner. Around 20k miles i began to develop a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I tried tightening the trans mount isolater and balanced the tires a few times to no avail. I just took the truck on a 1600 mile road trip last week and on the way home i noticed the traction control light come on and off for a few seconds sporadically. I also now have a wheel slip from 0-10 mph. Transmission was serviced at 30k. I today at 45k swapped the diffs and transfer box fluid. Im still having the same problems. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try rebalancing the air freshener ....lol...might check the wheel speed sensors, could be a bad one
Causing the issues...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply, would a bad wheel speed sensor cause the traction control light to come on intermittently on the highway? Thats happening also. I was assuming transmission problems but a wheel speed sensor sounds less expensive
Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it could, have you had the tires balanced lately also that could contribute to steering wheel shake to.
If the traction control is coming on the jeep thinks it's sum what skiding and the computer will cut engine power.
Might just give all the front suspension parts a good look over. Oh just seen you tried tire balancing.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't have the vibration issue that you're experiencing, but I have had a front wheel speed sensor go bad. On again/off again abs/traction control light at random times. Sensor was less than $30 from dealer.
The vibration my be false abs activation...like others have said, the computer is trying to stop what it thinks is a locked up wheel- which may be brake shudder.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. It was a bad abs sensor and a bad wheel bearing on the same wheel. Pass front. At the mech as we speak. One of my shocks in the front is leaking so i will replace both sometime next and report back. Also going to have a full tune up done.

Quick Reply: Wheel slip and steering wheel vibration.