Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The wheels on the jeep go squeak and squeak

Old 12-02-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wheels on the jeep go squeak and squeak

Hello all, new to the forums so I hope I did this right.. I have a 2008 jku x with 35's, rancho 3" lift. About a month ago I noticed it started to squeak when driving, it only does it when it's been driven for a bit and the weather is dry. It squeaks once for every wheel rotation and sometimes twice every rotation if you drive it all day, it sounds like the squeak is coming from the front right ujoint but it's not loose, in fact none of the ujoints seem loose. I've soaked all the ujoints in pb blaster and checked the brake shield things to make sure they aren't touching the rotors, and I'm kinda clueless on what the problem could be. Has anyone else had an issue similar to mine?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the brake pads they may be worn down or the u joint is failing. even if you spary it with pb bpaster the rubber seals dont let it get in to the needle bearings. ive seen some that were greasy nasy on the outside but when we took the caps off they were bone dry inside.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

I just recently replaced the brakes, gee I sure hope it's not the ujoint, how difficult are those to change?
Old 12-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

U-joints are cake if the hub pops right off for you. The u's probably are on their way out, I replaced mine around 125k along with ball joints. You can check for play before tearing all into it.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a squeak that I just couldn't diagnose, was driving me nuts, sounds somewhat similar to yours. I just sprayed all possible spots with white lithium grease and the squeak has been gone for months.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Since I'm lazy, I'll try white lithium grease first. Thanks!
EDIT: time to order new u-joints

Last edited by AimTime; 12-24-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: The wheels on the jeep go squeak and squeak