Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whining sound (6 speed)

Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining sound (6 speed)

I have an 07 rubicon 2-door. recently i have noticed a whining sound at the top of each gear. I have never experienced this in other vehicles, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I actually used to have the same noise on my 08 jk. I never took it in for work and just accepted it as normal because it made the sound the first time I ever test drove it. I did avoid high rpms because of the whining however.

A little while down the road I started getting that the clucth squeak that everyone talks about so I took it in for the TSB (don't remember which one off the top of my head) that replaces the throwout bearing I believe.

Anyways after the new bearing the noise was drastically reduced, but the squeak is still there, go figure.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't a Jeep but the only vehicle I had that did that was diff oil out of the transmission. When I could hear it I knew it was low and time to top off again. Other than that I don't hear street transmissions at all. Check your fluid maybe?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjk
I actually used to have the same noise on my 08 jk. I never took it in for work and just accepted it as normal because it made the sound the first time I ever test drove it. I did avoid high rpms because of the whining however.

A little while down the road I started getting that the clucth squeak that everyone talks about so I took it in for the TSB (don't remember which one off the top of my head) that replaces the throwout bearing I believe.

Anyways after the new bearing the noise was drastically reduced, but the squeak is still there, go figure.
Did you check the thread on the clutch squeak? If not do a search for it. You'll find it might be as simple as a rubbing against the firewall. The thread has pics also.

Quick Reply: whining sound (6 speed)