Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who knew! Little things ya did not know about your Jeep!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn your rear view mirror upside down to get a better view over the spare tire, and provide better viewing out of the front windshield.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this. Does anybody know what the hole with the screw locators is for on the dash behind the left side of the glovebox door? It's definitely for a switch but I haven't found a JK with that switch yet. It's in all 11 up JK's.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by vgullotta
Is there a trick for the 2 door's second front power plug? My 2 door has two power ports in the dash section, one is only on when the Jeep is on and one is always on. I'd rather they were both only when the Jeep was on.
Yes, there is.
Go to this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-189556/
It will show you connector C6, under the TIPM.
Remove the wire from cavity 10, and move it to cavity 12. That will make your always-hot outlet be selectable through fuse M7.
Cavity 10 is two positions up from the circled cavity in the connector photo in the thread quoted.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, there is.
Go to this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-189556/
It will show you connector C6, under the TIPM.
Remove the wire from cavity 10, and move it to cavity 12. That will make your always-hot outlet be selectable through fuse M7.
Cavity 10 is two positions up from the circled cavity in the connector photo in the thread quoted.
Score thanks!

The rear view mirror trick is one I use too, much better view over the bigger spare
Old 10-18-2015, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shays
How about this. Does anybody know what the hole with the screw locators is for on the dash behind the left side of the glovebox door? It's definitely for a switch but I haven't found a JK with that switch yet. It's in all 11 up JK's.
ever figure this out? Took a picture so others would know what you're talking about. Best I can figure was an optional glove box light or another aux charging port? Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4134089640.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	627672 Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-18-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's one that many hard core off roaders know, but some may not....On manual transmissions, in low range, you can stop and start the Jeep (for steep hills) by just turning the key and shutting down the engine while in gear. Then, when ready to go again, just leave it in gear, leave the clutch engaged (do NOT depress it), and the Jeep will start going again. (Don't press the gas, either, until it gets moving.) It only does this in low range.

I've used this several times, but once on a steep, slippery, wet boat ramp that was covered with algae to pull a heavy boat up the ramp. It pulled the boat up with no sweat, at all!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Here's one that many hard core off roaders know, but some may not....On manual transmissions, in low range, you can stop and start the Jeep (for steep hills) by just turning the key and shutting down the engine while in gear. Then, when ready to go again, just leave it in gear, leave the clutch engaged (do NOT depress it), and the Jeep will start going again. (Don't press the gas, either, until it gets moving.) It only does this in low range. I've used this several times, but once on a steep, slippery, wet boat ramp that was covered with algae to pull a heavy boat up the ramp. It pulled the boat up with no sweat, at all!
It sounds like you're using your starter (with some serious gearing help) to turn your driveshafts for a more controlled accent. Any risk of increasing wear this way or is this by design? I'd be interested to see something from Chrysler on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-18-2015, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wildschwein
It sounds like you're using your starter (with some serious gearing help) to turn your driveshafts for a more controlled accent. Any risk of increasing wear this way or is this by design? I'd be interested to see something from Chrysler on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
It is by design. My YJ did it, TJ's did it, and I'm pretty certain CJ's did it. It can't be done in high range, because it is electronically locked out until the clutch is depressed. It is enabled in low range because the gear reduction is so low, the starter motor has plenty of power to turn it. Remember too, the starter motor is only moving the Jeep a few inches before the engine fires and takes over. If it weren't by design, it would be electronically locked out in low range, just like it is in high range, on the JK.

I did it frequently on my YJ and replaced the starter at about 125k miles, which was long-lived for a YJ 2.5. The starter gears looked good as new. I've not done it as much with the JK, but I'm approaching 100k and the starter is working just fine.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember reading an article where Jeep engineers were with the media on a trail somewhere (Moab?) and were showing off this feature.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmwil

It is by design. My YJ did it, TJ's did it, and I'm pretty certain CJ's did it. It can't be done in high range, because it is electronically locked out until the clutch is depressed. It is enabled in low range because the gear reduction is so low, the starter motor has plenty of power to turn it. Remember too, the starter motor is only moving the Jeep a few inches before the engine fires and takes over. If it weren't by design, it would be electronically locked out in low range, just like it is in high range, on the JK.

I did it frequently on my YJ and replaced the starter at about 125k miles, which was long-lived for a YJ 2.5. The starter gears looked good as new. I've not done it as much with the JK, but I'm approaching 100k and the starter is working just fine.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember reading an article where Jeep engineers were with the media on a trail somewhere (Moab?) and were showing off this feature.
It's in the owners guide
Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gburkett
It's in the owners guide
You mean you read the manual??

Quick Reply: Who knew! Little things ya did not know about your Jeep!