Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Why keep front anti sway bar connected?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
They serve a purpose...that's why they are there, just like on every other vehicle on the road, to circumvent them (on the road) is foolish.
The Jeep is a handling nightmare on-road, even stock. I can't imagine it with a sway bar disconnected, especially at speed during emergency maneuvers. Sometimes after driving my commute-bomb for a few days, I get in the Jeep and take a corner too hard. RRRRRR-RRR-RR go the tires, and that reminds me I need to slow down and drive it like the barge that it actually is.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
I disconnected my front brakes, hardly notice a difference and it stops just fine. not sure why vechicals even have or need them. I guess I'm to lazy to bother with them.
I did the same with my headlights. who needs 'em!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
For kicks I went to a parking lot and made emergency situation type quick turns and, under emergency conditions, the differences are severe. I will definitely reinstall the bar.

The only reason it's left off is because I lost the bolt after wheeling and thus couldn't reconnect it. I'll hit the hardware store today.

I am siding with the safety related replies because my Jeep has performed amazingly on the highway in emergency situations in the past, where I was convinced a crash was eminent. With that bar disconnected, it's an accident in the making. I tested it myself in a parking lot the Jeep does not respond similarly at all under duress.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Good to see you saw the light. More kudos for doing it in a safe environment
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even the 2 door stock JK handles pretty bad in emergency lane changes (50 mph+) when compared to a car. That is logical given what it is.

I will not be running on the street with front or rear sway bar disconnected. The thought of having to change directions quickly at speed without them is scary to me.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't imagine anybody driving with the disconnected. That's just retarded. I assure whoever says they can't tell a difference is full of it or they are driving like Ms Daisy. Either way in the event of a defensive maneuver it will be too late bc your jeep will not handle anywhere close to the same as if they were connected.

I hope not to be anywhere in the vicinity to anybody running them disconnected.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front is very important, the rear not so much.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Yesterday I accidentally forgot they were disconnected but once I got on the highway, I could tell the difference right away! I definitely want those connected for normal driving.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
The Jeep is a handling nightmare on-road, even stock. I can't imagine it with a sway bar disconnected, especially at speed during emergency maneuvers. Sometimes after driving my commute-bomb for a few days, I get in the Jeep and take a corner too hard. RRRRRR-RRR-RR go the tires, and that reminds me I need to slow down and drive it like the barge that it actually is.
Geez how hard are you driving your Jeep?

I have found mine to be a life saver in certain occasions. When the shit hit the fan a few times and I had to quickly dodge some dumbasses, where I was a spilt second from a pile up, my Jeep has pulled me through some extremely frightening situations. I have maneuvered extremely aggressively extremely fast and under those conditions I have been left thinking that my Jeep was one of the best buys I have ever made in my life. Ugh... I hate even thinking about some of those situations. Makes my palms sweat.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I was running disconnected around town due to the build-up of snow and ice on the local roads. I took a trip out to the cabin and was on a long curve when the steering felt like it had a mind of its own. Definitely leaving it connected on anything beyond the neighbourhood or over 40 km/h.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default not sure but i wonder

what it will do to your front end parts too ? I would think the more movement the more the trac bar and stabilizer and all would have to compensate and wear out prematurely ???Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCASEOG1U.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	523974

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-15-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Why keep front anti sway bar connected?