Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

WHY are most Jeep dealers so just plain ol' dumb?!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY are most Jeep dealers so just plain ol' dumb?!

I was at a Jeep dealership in Asheville, NC, just checking the lot (tons of new Saharas and Xs, all still with the paint issues) and I overheard one of the salesman talking to a customer, so I walked over to evesdrop. The customer asked if he could get satellite radio in the new Jeeps, and was told, "No". I told the customer (in front of the salesman) that "your salesman is wrong, you CAN get satellite radio in a new JK." The salesman quickly replied, "What I meant is that it does not come stock with the Jeep, you have to add it by purchasing your own." The customer looked at me, and I said, "Wrong again!! You can get Sirius as a standard option in the new Jeep." The salesman just looked at me with a blank stare. I felt like saying, "Hey, it's not MY fault if you don't know your job!" I then walked the customer over to a Rescue Green X and showed her the sticker where it included Sirius as a factory option. Before she left, I gave her the address to this web site and told her she'll learn more here than at the dealership, and also suggested moving on from Skyland dealership to Steve White Motors in Hickory where they know more about their vehicles, and offer better prices.

I then tested a female sales-person who was showing me a Sahara with a Khaki interior (hadn't seen Khaki yet). I asked her, "What's this button for?" as I pointed to the Uconnect button on the radio. She said, "It's a bluetooth button for your cell phone." Very good!!!, I thought. I said, "So it works now, huh?" She was silent for a minute, then replied that in the Jeeps, it calls if you get in an accident. Geez... she had me going there for a moment, and I thought I had actually found someone who actually knows SOMETHING.

Where in the world do they get these people?? How can you be a salesman, yet know nothing about the product you're trying to sell? What we need to do is go to the dealerships with a hidden videocam, then record these idiots and send the footage to DC, and show them who is out here representing their products. Color me crazy, but I think they need to step up the training just a tad...

Anyone else got funny stories? I test them every time I go to the dealership and have yet to find ANYONE who knows more about the new Jeep than me, present company excluded... of course.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 01-06-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked my JK up while it was raining and the salesman tried to tell me the water all over the dash and shifter was from his jacket as it was wet and not from the leaking roof that was dripping as we spoke.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I visited a dealership in Montreal recently, and just spent 20 minutes getting into and out of a 2-dr X. I asked the guy what the major differences were between this and the TJ just to see what he would say, and you know what he said? "This one has MYGIG, have you seen it yet?" (There was no MYGIG on this JK, it had the standard CD-MP3 deck). I asked him about ESC, and there was total silence. I showed him the "hidden" compartment under the flap in the rear cargo area, and he said "Hey, thet's cool! I never saw that before!" It was totally friggin retarded. To say nothing of the fact that he didn't realize this one had disc brakes and didn't know that the 3.8 V6 was in the minivan line for 10+ years. But can you blame him? He was a normal guy, probably didn't care about Jeeps anymore than he cared about Subaru WRXs or Saab 9-5s.

I'll tell you why you can't find someone intelligent to sell you Jeeps. Because most of us on this board suffer from a sickness, this insane need to constantly log on and discuss this vehicle to death. I myself am addicted, I spend hours and hours in the middle of the night looking at the pics and reading about the wheels and rims, and I don't even have one yet!!!

You have to be diseased to know enough about the Jeeps to meet everyone here's expectations, and if you're that dedicated then you usually gravitate towarsd a more fulfilling career in something that pays better. These salespeople, they probably drive home in their Civics and never look back when the dealership closes.

Now, this isn't always the case. My salesgirl is a friend of mine and owns the entire dealership. She knows quite a bit about the vehicles, but she's also well informed and admitted that she surfs around on forums like this to learn about aftermarket stuff, plus calls the Regie (Montreal-Quebec version of the DMV) all the time to find out about legalities. I'd say she's an exception.

Anyways, it makes this forum that much more valuable. Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful!!! You're an invaluable resource!!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

I wanted to check out the 4 drs, as i havent seen the inside of one yet. i drove my 2dr jk up to the local jeep stealership and asked the first guy i saw if I could look at one of the new JK's. He said "son I dont even understand what you mean" Then i had to explain to him that JK is the identifier for the 2007 Wrangler. He still didnt understand what i meant but took me to look at a 2 dr cause I wanted to look at the half doors on it. Mine was parked right next to it. The guy saw it and said "well looks like you're a jeep man yourself, just like me. You looking to trade that one in on one of the '07's. It looks fairly new, I could get you a good deal on a trade in." Mine IS an 07!! What an idiot! The guy then went on to tell me how the 4.0 was such an awesome engine. How solid it was yadda yadda yadda... "I thought the new ones had the 3.8, and not the 4.0 anymore" "No I dont think they're ever going to get rid of the 4.0, son" WOW! I just left after that.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was at my local jeep dealer one day looking at they 1st new jk.i walk up to a group of 4 salesman that ware talking to each other about the jeep and had no a clue about it.so for 30 min i was answering questions from the salesman(now 6 salesman)one asked if i was the jeep rep?no just looking... oh ...they didn't even try to sale anything to me.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Steve&2jc's
Amazing! I understand it's new and there's a lot of stuff to learn/remember but I'd think that the salespeople would be a little more knowlegable.
They should be!
Their commission depends on it, not to mention their lively hood. If they just read the info. on the Jeep web site they would at least know about the standard and optional features. Hell, the dealership gave me a nice glossy brochure. You would think that a sales people would want read it too. A lot of the sales people seem to be incompetent morons that couldn't hold down the fast food job they had, so they tried to become sales people. They should at least be able to tell the difference between the colors and if it is 4wd or 2wd. And if they want to continue in the sales business they should hold to their word past the signing of the sales agreement! I even had the sales manager tell me that I needed to give my sales person a good evaluation to DC, because of the "great deal" I got. But when I called about a problem, as they told me I should do, I was basically told to go take a flying leap. So when I got my survey from DC I tried to record my feelings as accurately as possible. And whenever someone asks me about where I got my Jeep I tell them exactly who and where they are and highly suggest that they find some place else to deal with. And it dosen't stop with the sales division.
It took two weeks for the dealership to pay off my trade-in and I had to call and remind them three times. They had the balls to tell me that I needed to deal with the finance company, of my trade-in, after the check I used to buy my JK had already cleared. I know not all sales people are this inept, but the guy I used for the last eight years didn't sell new Jeeps, so I had to find someone else.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Dumb Dealers ???????/

OK so these sales guys don't know much about jeeps,. You need to umderstand that for the most part they sell pimped out chrysler 300's all day.

In defense of my dealership not only did they deal a bit on price but when I discovered a $1000 doller error in the deal two weeks "after the papers were signed". They stood by their word and sent Chrysler financing the $1000 dollars.

Mike Baus sales manager at Spirit Chrysler/Jeep in Swedesboro NJ is a prince.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And... That's why I'm getting my JK from Jeff over at Don-A-Vee
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
And... That's why I'm getting my JK from Jeff over at Don-A-Vee
If I were closer to SoCal. I would have been more than happy to buy from him too.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get a feeling from the guys at the dealership, and quite frankly from some other Jeep owners, that they don't regard the JK as a "real Jeep". Just a feeling, maybe I'm just self conscious or paranoid.

Meh, who freaking cares, I like it.

Quick Reply: WHY are most Jeep dealers so just plain ol' dumb?!