Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will FCA warranty soft top deterioration?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Will FCA warranty soft top deterioration?

I have 31K miles on my '15 JKU with soft top and a handful of issues with the soft top:

1. one of the frame parts in the rear is bent ever so slightly and has been since it was new
2. where the tailgate closes against the window fabric is gradually wearing the edge of the fabric
3. the stitching where the cable comes out, where the top folds when putting it in "sunrider" mode, is coming loose, one side is bad (1" or more of stiching gone) and the other side is starting to go. This comes from folding the top. It's just a poor design.
4. there is pervasive rust on the soft top frame.
5. don't even get me started about wear on the foam stuff that's supposed to keep it from leaking...

Since it is such a royal PITA to work with the local dealer usually requiring a multi-day stay and no loaner vehicle, I'm loathe to take it in. But since the 36K mark is coming up, if they MIGHT warranty the top I think it would be worth it.

So, any comment? Anyone know if the dealer is likely at all to warranty the top or would I be signing up for a big fight with FCA insisting that by putting the top up and down I am abusing it?

[FWIW my Miata wore a hole in the soft top from folding it up and down every day and Mazda replaced it under warranty at about 35Kmi without question, then a few years later Mazda TSB'd that top issue; warranty on convertible top issues should be routine]
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm curious on this as well. Girlfriend has a 15 soft top and it's not as well built as others I've bought on CL and she's still under warranty.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I would be looking at what your bumper-to-bumper warranty looks like. My wife's 2016 is a 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty... I think?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah it's 36K bumper to bumper but they will attempt to exclude normal wear and tear. like for example, you wouldn't be able to warrantee the tires under this warranty, or the engine oil that came from the factory.

I'm concerned they are going to say any degradation of the top is normal wear and tear, not manufacturing (or design) defect.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
yeah it's 36K bumper to bumper but they will attempt to exclude normal wear and tear. like for example, you wouldn't be able to warrantee the tires under this warranty, or the engine oil that came from the factory.

I'm concerned they are going to say any degradation of the top is normal wear and tear, not manufacturing (or design) defect.
I agree. I'm curious to see the outcome, but I'm betting they will say this wear and tear from normal use. The best argument for replacement I think would have been the bent part of the frame, but I think that ship has long sailed. I think now they'd say you could have bent that yourself due to misuse of the top. That should have been addressed as soon as you noticed it....when it was still new.

I'm not saying there's no chance at all.....I'm just betting it's a very slim chance. We're all rooting for you though!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I feel your best bets would be the following.
- Any leaks that are present, that can't be repaired without replacement of the top. You mentioned the foam, so that may be able to be repaired.
- The rust problem, but they may repair that as well. Look up rust coverage in the warranty terms, it will be defined of the type of areas which are protected against rust. Rust protection is covered in the bumper to bumper.

You need to focus on "actual" problems observed. For example, you mention the stitching coming apart, but is there an actual problem associated with that stitching coming out such as not being able to properly fold the top, or water leaks? Looks like a rag doll isn't an actual problem other than cosmetic.

If you can identify enough of these actual problems, they will either repair them, or throw in the towel and say, "It will cost us less to replace than to repair."
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
You need to focus on "actual" problems observed. For example, you mention the stitching coming apart, but is there an actual problem associated with that stitching coming out such as not being able to properly fold the top, or water leaks? Looks like a rag doll isn't an actual problem other than cosmetic.

If you can identify enough of these actual problems, they will either repair them, or throw in the towel and say, "It will cost us less to replace than to repair."
This is good advice.

Quick Reply: Will FCA warranty soft top deterioration?