Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield Wipers hit cowl (when wet)

Old 02-13-2019, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Windshield Wipers hit cowl (when wet)

The windshield wipers on my 2008 Wrangler Rubicon (most of the time when it's raining) go too far down and hit the cowl pretty hard. This doesn't seem to happen if there's just a mist and I put them on for 1 or 2 wipes, but when it's raining, it seems they go too far down and make a rather loud 'bang' when they hit the cowl. Is this the sign of a future wiper motor failure or is their a stop of some sort missing?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm guessing that someone put the wiper arms on in the wrong spot. See this on how to pull them off and put them back on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJKgNXrqBvc

If
they put them on set too low, then that would happen.. take them off and place them back on a bit more counter-clockwise.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

What jedg said. My wiper arms have never been removed and the wiper blades don't even come close to the cowl. I would say the end of my wiper blade on the driver's side stops about 2 inches from the bottom of the windshield.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm fairly certain our wipers are indexed on the spindle so installing them incorrectly is near impossible. I've had them off a handful of times for post wheeling cleaning.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm fairly certain our wipers are indexed on the spindle so installing them incorrectly is near impossible. I've had them off a handful of times for post wheeling cleaning.
I thought they were indexed also. The thing is, they work properly sometimes, but when the windows are wet, they've started slipping down all the way to the cowl. It's just the down position that's too far. The 'up' position is perfect. I'd think if they were installed wrong, both eh up and down would be off. Is there a "stop" of some sort that fell off? Or, maybe this is the sign of the motor going bad.?.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think moreso the motor. The motor does a complete turn and with the rods below the cowl, it just cycles over. It sounds like it isn't cycling and stopping in the right spot.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Problem found...

Once I took off the cowl, the 3 of the 3 bolts that hold the wiper housing to the wiper motor were missing...and the 3rd bolt was very loose. Installed 2 new bolts and tightened the 3rd and it's good to go. Total cost = $0 (except for my time).
Old 03-12-2019, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

thanks for the follow-up. That was a weird thing to be happening.....glad it was a simple fix.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Well that's pretty crazy.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Marc

Originally Posted by CPTLeDonne
The windshield wipers on my 2008 Wrangler Rubicon (most of the time when it's raining) go too far down and hit the cowl pretty hard. This doesn't seem to happen if there's just a mist and I put them on for 1 or 2 wipes, but when it's raining, it seems they go too far down and make a rather loud 'bang' when they hit the cowl. Is this the sign of a future wiper motor failure or is their a stop of some sort missing?
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution yet?

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers hit cowl (when wet)