Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshields breaking the build budget!!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields breaking the build budget!!

I live in Wasilla AK and work in Anchorage only about a 50 mile drive but it's snow season and the preferred road care method in AK is to gravel the roads it's great that it does not rust your frame like salt but it does build up in medians on the freeway then when some ass passes you at 70 mph + he throws tons of rocks into your car... Every week I get three or four rock chips but I'm on my third windshield now, I can afford a few rock chips now and then but I have already y had three hit so hard they completely spidered the whole window. I realize Jeeps are more prone do to the angle of the windshield but I can't afford to keep replacing them!!! Is there a product that will help prevent this or minimize the damage of impacts? I asked some locals and local shops and just got dumb answers like " it's Alaska you learn to live with it" and " get a bug deflector that will help" I'm looking for an actual solution though is the problem if not I guess I'll just be rocking the road warrior windshield look tell next summer because those baby's ain't cheap, and suggestions will be much appreciated thanks.... P.S. My windshield currently has a crack strait threw the middle strait at eye level.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try get some Lexan cut and installed. They use it for some race cars. Only thing I can think of really
Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow....that sucks. I don't know of anything that would help other than lifting it higher?
Here in KY, your insurance company has to replace your windshield, deductible free.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I am some of the vehicles that drive the dirt & gravel roads in the outback have steel/aluminum mesh screens fitted to the windshield frame or cowl in front of the windshield glass to deflect rocks. Not sure of the legality of it in your part of the world though since the slight reduction in visibility may contravene some statutes in some states/countries.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 AM
JK Junkie

Look into the 3M security film, might be what you need ......
Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

No good answer to this. Lexan and screens aren't legal in thethe states that I am aware of. I've been through several windshields in vehicles over the years, and they always get broken in the winter. I'll leave them broken until the spring and have them replaced after the crap is off of the roads.

Hope you are using a good installer. My Rubicon just went through 6 windshields and 2 repaints of the windshield frame before the idiotic glass company got a properly sealed windshield installed without paint damage.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

As others have said there is the certain films and products you can put on it to protect it. Too bad your warranty doesnt cover it... I would just say to try one of the films.. Cant hurt to try especially at the rate youre going through windshields.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brandon1024
As others have said there is the certain films and products you can put on it to protect it. Too bad your warranty doesnt cover it... I would just say to try one of the films.. Cant hurt to try especially at the rate youre going through windshields.
While films can help a bit, I doubt its going to help prevent damage from the boulders they dump on the roads in AK
Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe you can cut a piece of thin lexan to match the size of your windshield or a little smaller. Silicone the edges and stick it right to your windshield. That way you can just scrape it off in the summer when not needed, or for inspection.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I think I will try the 3M micro film, if that does not do the trick just repair it in spring.

Quick Reply: Windshields breaking the build budget!!