Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Winter Tire Options

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire Options

Hey Guys,

I have a set of Stock 17" Goodyear Wranglers, a set of 17" BFG's off of a Rubicon. I was wondering which tire would be better for Canadian winter driving, or do they both suck and I should go with winters, I am kind of strapped for cash so I need to be economical.

Thanks

JJ
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

The BFG's are TERRIBLE in winter. Kinda like hockey pucks.

I got my BFG's siped, which is supposed to help drastically. I haven't tested them yet, it's only JUST snowed here and it's still slushy.

Anyway, the Wranglers will be far better than unsiped BFGs, not sure about siped BFG's vs the Wranglers.

The BFG's will be far better in snow though... mud terrains shed snow well, similar to the way they shed mud.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noot nailed it with mud terrains should be sipped if you use them for winter driving. The sipping will run about $20-25/tire. I ran Toyo M/T's in Revelstoke. not sipped...it took one slushy snowfall with a little ice underneath to stop at my tire dealer and get a set of true M&S tires for the winter. The mud terrains....especially wider M/T's stink on ice and slushy snow with the harder rubber compound and very little sipping.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies and info, I am going to look into getting those tires sipped, if not, I guess I will be searching for some good winters. Know any good deals?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by juggie
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies and info, I am going to look into getting those tires sipped, if not, I guess I will be searching for some good winters. Know any good deals?
I just siped ours myself. It only took about 15 minutes a tires. I was really suprised how easy it was.

I got a tire groover (Ideal heated knife) from ebay for about $68 shipped.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Options