Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

WOL's Torque Values Writeup..

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WOL's Torque Values Writeup..

Ok Im confused. In WOL's write up on torque settings it says drag link to knuckle and drag link to knuckle (right side) is 55 pds. This is in the front suspension section.

Then in the steering linkage section it says drag link ball stud to pitman arm is 77 pds and drag link ball stud to knuckle is 63 ft pds.

So why the difference? are they talking about two diff things?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks. Now can anyone answer the actual question?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you asking why the numerical difference or why the difference in the measurement abbreviations? The measurement abbreviations are incorrect, anyway. The correct measurement for torque is "pound feet", not "foot pounds", and is abbreviated LB FT, or IN LB for "inch pounds", and lastly Nm for the metric "Newton meters". If you're talking about the different numeric values, I have no answer. Are the two fastners the same size? If not, that could account for the difference.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi

What I am asking is why the difference in specs. Its sound like those are two different names for the same thing (drag link ends).

So I am wondering which spec is right?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
What I am asking is why the difference in specs. Its sound like those are two different names for the same thing (drag link ends).

So I am wondering which spec is right?
I THINK one was supposed to be "drag link" and the other was supposed to be "tie rod", but I'm not sure. There aren't two drag links, so that's my best guess.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

I would think so, but there is a seperate spec for the tie rod. I guess I will PM WOL and direct him here for an answer.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Jedi

I would think so, but there is a seperate spec for the tie rod. I guess I will PM WOL and direct him here for an answer.
Yeah. Inquirin minds wanna know.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

1 of them is for the drag link to knuckle (55 lb ft) and the other is the drag link to pitman arm (77 lb ft).
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Littlejon
1 of them is for the drag link to knuckle (55 lb ft) and the other is the drag link to pitman arm (77 lb ft).
Right but if you look one says each end is 55 pounds. (the first one I described).

Then the other one says the knuckle is 63 and pitman arm is 77. (the second description)

So that is what is confusing..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok Im confused. In WOL's write up on torque settings it says drag link to knuckle and drag link to knuckle (right side) is 55 pds. This is in the front suspension section.

Then in the steering linkage section it says drag link ball stud to pitman arm is 77 pds and drag link ball stud to knuckle is 63 ft pds.

So why the difference? are they talking about two diff things?
unfortuantely, these values are copied right out of the FSM and they are not only off at times but a few were missing altogether. i have tried making corrections and filling in whatever blanks there were but still, there are some odd ones in there i know.

regarding your question, you should work with the higher values stated. 77 ft. lbs. where the drag link connects to the pitman arm and 63 ft. lbs. where it connects to the knuckle. you are working with tapered studs and so anything within this general range will do the job.

Quick Reply: WOL's Torque Values Writeup..