Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The worst Jeep soft top ever!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst Jeep soft top ever!

I just put our soft top on today and I hate it! It looks nice and fits ok but there is no way my wife is going to be able to do anything with it. If I put the "sunrider" portion back then I have to remove the sail panels to re-install it, the top acts like its too short. She will never be able to pop the sail panels back in or the rain gutters. The side windows have the zipper to far to the front and will not allow the front of the panel to slip into the channel at the doors, not to mention slipping the lower part of the windows into the channel at the body is a fight to say the least. It hasn't rained yet but it will probably leak like our freedom top constantly does!(11 trips to the dealer so far in 7 months)

We have had a bunch of CJ's and a TJ and the tops on all of those were much easier to deal with.

I hate this top, rant over!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait until it gets worn in... it gets easier with time.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
wait until it gets worn in... it gets easier with time.

I hope so, we have a real "love/hate" relationship with this Jeep. We love the Jeep/we hate the tops! I'm looking at aftermarket tops right now to see if they are any better. I'll sell this stock junk to get something that doesn't leak and functions better.

Our JK has been flawless other than the tops! 8k on it now.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

when was your build date?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Mine was really, really bad but has since stretched.

Hope yours gets easier.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
when was your build date?
October 07, we took delivery the first week of November 07.

EDIT: that would be 07'

Last edited by xjtrailrider; 05-24-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on and had huge problems, because it wasn't stretched out. Give it about 2 weeks and things get better. I will probably go back to the hard top before vacation and stay with that. I like running it with top completely down, but I hate taking the back window out. When I wanna ride with the front back. It not as practical as I thought the thing would be.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

have you watched the video on jeep.com? I find its really easy to get all the channels in, except sometimes the one for the rear window, but the zipper is easy on all the windows. I also noticed it got even easier once the top was stretched out in the warmer weather.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xjtrailrider
I just put our soft top on today and I hate it! It looks nice and fits ok but there is no way my wife is going to be able to do anything with it. If I put the "sunrider" portion back then I have to remove the sail panels to re-install it, the top acts like its too short. She will never be able to pop the sail panels back in or the rain gutters. The side windows have the zipper to far to the front and will not allow the front of the panel to slip into the channel at the doors, not to mention slipping the lower part of the windows into the channel at the body is a fight to say the least. It hasn't rained yet but it will probably leak like our freedom top constantly does!(11 trips to the dealer so far in 7 months)

We have had a bunch of CJ's and a TJ and the tops on all of those were much easier to deal with.

I hate this top, rant over!
I had similar trouble with the Sunrider at first, almost like you need an extra 1/2" to get the clamps in place. When you're putting back the Sunrider, make sure you don't release the safety buttons like you would if you were putting the whole top down. With these buttons still engaged, the Sunrider will open and close very easily. If you run into the similar sort of issue trying to get the whole top on at the end of the day (needing an extra 1/2"), make sure these same buttons have engaged. It sometimes helps to stand in the back and give the whole top assembly a nice push forward, you'll hear them click. When these buttons are not engaged, EVERYTHING is a PIA. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

I love my soft-top! Mine came installed from the factory (I didn't get a hard top), so maybe it had already stretched a bit.... Maybe this thread might help you out?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/tried-lower-sunrider-soft-top-but-couldnt-2829/

Otherwise, like everyone else said, it gets easier and faster over time. Nowadays, going in and out of "sunrider mode" takes about a minute and my 13 year-old son can do it himself.

Quick Reply: The worst Jeep soft top ever!