Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2018 Wrangler Sport randomly won’t start

Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Wrangler Sport randomly won’t start

We bought our daughter a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Last May she ran inside Target and came out and it wouldn’t start. Lights turned on, engine just wouldn’t even try to turn over. She left and came back with help an hour later and it started right up. No problems since, until tonight. She drove out to our trailer to do a favor for us and when she went to leave, same thing, it wouldn’t start. She took the keys out of the ignition and would try again every 10 minutes. Every so often it would make a humming noise and there was no key in the ignition. She even opened her car door and it made the dinging noise with no key in the ignition. Make me think it’s something electrical. Does anyone have any similar experiences and if so, have you figured out the issue?? I googled the issue and it seems this is common, but no one knows the cause and most say the dealer can’t duplicate the issue to fix anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. It finally started after 45 minutes. Thanks!!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

I am having the same problem. It seems that my mechanic has determined it might be the transmission speed sensor module which is attached to the valve body in the transmission.i haven’t replaced it yet so I don’t know for sure.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same problem. Happened right after I bought it last year, took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong. They said they checked the transmission temp sensor since I had seen that as a possible cause. Happened twice more this year. Aggravating, but I've learned to sit tight for a few minutes, and then it starts right up. Not sure if it is related, but I wait until I hear the whirring noise behind the glove box after a few minutes, and then I try it, and it starts. Would love to know the cause.

Quick Reply: 2018 Wrangler Sport randomly won’t start