Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Thinking about a JL

Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a JL

So, the other day... I took my wifes 16 jku into dealer for oil change and rotation...
as I'm waiting, a dealer with not much to do, stopped and talked to me.
I had been looking at a new JK in the show room and we started talking about the JL.
Really did not care for the pic he showed me... but after looking at it more closely online, I think I like it. I do like some of its features...
Can't wait to see in person. The dealer said it would be a few more weeks before they start getting the JLs. When they arrive he said he'd call me.
Told him I need to get a few things together before I buy, but I'm planning/hoping this summer.

So, I decided to get on Jeep.com today and "build" me one... Knowing for the time being it will be what they have is what you get.

I saw something about a 2.0 turbo mentioned (but not showing available yet) and saw it mentioned in JP magazine.
Looks like it could be comparable to the 3.6, definitely better than the 3.8 I have in my 2010.
I'm kind of looking for details. I've seen power projections... but nothing about mpg.
Not really worried about MPG, It's a Jeep after all...
Just curious.

I'm still a diehard JKU fan. I have no issues buying a new JKU or a used one .
So I'm not just jumping at it because it's new.
Just find the JL a bit interesting...
Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm surprised your dealer doesn't have them yet. My dealer (Hall Jeep of VA Beach) has at least 3 of them on site.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your interested in the new JL then you have to be aware that it comes standard equipped with the ESS systems installed. What is ESS?. Engine Start Stop which translate into when your jeep comes to a full stop.. the engine shuts off.. Busted / deal breaker for us. or we would have waited for the JT 2 door truck.
But I mean the ESS has been the Grands since 2013-14 or so. I just find it odd jeep themselves claim sales for the Grand are record breaking.. yet visiting the local carmax would say and show other wise. 30+ of these grands on the lot. Why?.. because the dealer never disclosed to the buyers that the Grands had the ESS installed. Thus customers thought the Grand had stalling issues.
So if you're use to the ESS system already, more power to you and good luck with your new wrangler oh and be prepared for horns at the stop light when your jeep doesn't get up and go when the light turns green. By that time, we would have been long gone and never heard the horns honking at you.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
If your interested in the new JL then you have to be aware that it comes standard equipped with the ESS systems installed. What is ESS?. Engine Start Stop which translate into when your jeep comes to a full stop.. the engine shuts off.. Busted / deal breaker for us. or we would have waited for the JT 2 door truck.
But I mean the ESS has been the Grands since 2013-14 or so. I just find it odd jeep themselves claim sales for the Grand are record breaking.. yet visiting the local carmax would say and show other wise. 30+ of these grands on the lot. Why?.. because the dealer never disclosed to the buyers that the Grands had the ESS installed. Thus customers thought the Grand had stalling issues.
So if you're use to the ESS system already, more power to you and good luck with your new wrangler oh and be prepared for horns at the stop light when your jeep doesn't get up and go when the light turns green. By that time, we would have been long gone and never heard the horns honking at you.
Well, you can disable the ESS......you just have to do it Every. Single. Time Honestly, an owner should have the ability to permanently disable that if they wanted. Wonder if a programmer for the JL will eventually be able to do that.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 PM
Former Member

@resharp001

As an ex-member to the JLwrangler forums, I was offered a chance at a device (If we purchase the new JL Wrangler) that can be plugged into your systems via the dash plug & play connection that automatically overrides this ESS system. it's unclear how this device actually worked.

More details about this device can be located here:

SmartStartStop.com
Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PRO: It's on sale for $129 from $149. Relativity cheap, either way.

CON: It appears by the dropdown menu amd the picture, that the module is make and model specific. But there's no Wrangler option as of yet.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well our dealers in the area finally have the JL's on the lots so no doubt I had to drop in for the first hand look. I have got to say they did a great job on this redo not that I am thrilled about everything but overall to me its a hands down winner. Seats are more comfortable, the dash components are now water resistant from my understanding and I feel as if there maybe an inch or so more front leg room and at 6'4" with a 36" inseam thats huge. I am not overly thrilled with the overall dash design and prefer the JK's center stack a bit more but this is something I know will be a non issue down the road as its just an adjustment. The biggest part that is out of sorts not the dash is the radio wrapped in that rubber, it just sticks out like a sore thumb and would be much better it is were color coded that same as the dash. Love the top options but disappointed that the hard top doesn't have removable side panels like the power top does, its a big miss in my book and my be the reason I stay with a soft top. The huge hit on the JL is the ride. Man, the nailed this thing and have alleviated the side to side jarring of the JK, this is huge, huge, huge when you have a wife like mine that hates the Jk ride so this alone will be the reason I move over to the JL. I won't be pulling the trigger until the other two engine options hit the market and will most likely lean toward the turbo four over the diesel as there just won't be any downside.
So if your on the fence between staying with a JK or moving to the JL its gonna come down to finances (a good reason to wait a bit) since I don't really see dealer moving on price at this point. If it isn't about finances then go drive one because in my opinion the JL will win you over very quickly. I really didn't think I would have a reason trade out my JK but this has changed my mind.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Former Member

Although I had my say above these post, I neglected one key part of this conversation. if this is a "JK" forum then why is the JL taking center stage?. I believe the JL should be moved down to where the "other" jeeps are located or simply moved to a JL forum.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you are looking at a new daily driver that will see 99% of the time on the road then the new JL is the way to go. Comfort, features, fuel economy, and more room. If you want something that is more hard core and want to chop up for more extreme stuff then a stripped JK would be the ticket.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The ESS is not that big a deal, IMO. Shutting it off is easier than adjusting the climate control, which I do every time I get in. If you really want it disabled full-time, get the towing package and go over to Wal Mart. Pick up a hitch receiver brake light for about 10 bucks, put it in, plug it in to the 5 pin trailer plug, and the ESS will be disabled, with no more hitting the switch. No big deal.

As for me, I like the ESS for things like drive through window lines, or on streets that have lots of long red lights. Mine is unobtrusive (V6, manual) and I barely notice it when I'm playing music on the 552 watt Alpine system. It gains me about 1mpg on my trip to and from work.

The JL is so much better than the JK, in every way, I wouldn't know where to start to describe it. I love my JK and I'm keeping it. I drive them back to back all the time. No comparison. I highly recommend the JL. That said, I still have a helluva lot of fun driving my old JK. I can't bear to part with it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a JL