Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Canadian Roof Racks. Your suggestions please.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Roof Racks. Your suggestions please.

Anyone know what roof racks are (easily) available in Canada? I really like the Gobi for its functionality but there are no distributors here. I spoke to the rep who said shipping to my door would be around $700!! He said that if I was willing to pick it up a the Vancouver Airport loading bay, it would drop the shipping costs immensely. This isn't my favorite option as Van is about a 12 hour trip for me and its winter.

So I was looking at the MBRP rack which seems like a decent choice even though it limits you to hard top use only.

My wife likes wheeling and is getting more and more into upgrading the JK. She likes the idea of a snorkel which looks like it may interfere with how a rack fixes to the JK.

Anyone on the board purchase a rack? Any suggestions? Pics are great too!

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the MBRP rack certainly won't interfere with a snorkel.

It will also make your life easier in the summer when it comes to putting the soft top up or taking it down.

On the down side, you will have no roof rack for the summer (unless you put the hard top back on).

You could also just plan a road trip with your wife. It'll take you three reasonable days or two long days of driving in shifts to make it to Moab

I'm sure that you could pick a rack up while down there, install it, and just pay GST when you drive back North. That's what I did with my soft top.

5% GST isn't much to pay in order to stay legal.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
5% GST isn't much to pay in order to stay legal.
Just remember that depending on which province you're in, it could be 12% if they've switched to the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richmondbob
Just remember that depending on which province you're in, it could be 12% if they've switched to the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
BC hasn't started hitting that crack pipe, have they?

I don't pay too much attention to the whole PST thing anymore. Living in Alberta sure does have it's perks.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't pay too much attention to the whole PST thing anymore. Living in Alberta sure does have it's perks.
Amen brother
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Anyone know what roof racks are (easily) available in Canada? I really like the Gobi for its functionality but there are no distributors here. I spoke to the rep who said shipping to my door would be around $700!! He said that if I was willing to pick it up a the Vancouver Airport loading bay, it would drop the shipping costs immensely. This isn't my favorite option as Van is about a 12 hour trip for me and its winter.

So I was looking at the MBRP rack which seems like a decent choice even though it limits you to hard top use only.

My wife likes wheeling and is getting more and more into upgrading the JK. She likes the idea of a snorkel which looks like it may interfere with how a rack fixes to the JK.

Anyone on the board purchase a rack? Any suggestions? Pics are great too!

Thanks again!
If you are interested in the MBRP roof rack, you can save more than $550 on shipping, and no duty or brokerage. While our rack does bolt to the hardtop, it does not need to be attached to the a-pillars and will not interfere with a snorkel.

The roof rack also makes it very easy to lift the hard top on and off. If you're going wheeling and need the extra cargo space, throw the rack and hardtop on, pull the freedom panels and doors, and you're ready to go...

If you have any questions about our rack or products, feel free to contact me for information.

Steve
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, we'll be hitting that pipe hard by next June
Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm happy with the MBRP rack but I don't understand why you would buy it in the US since it's a CDN product...No interference with the Skorkel...

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

I know the MBRP is Canadian. It was the Gobi that I liked and is not distributed in Canada. Thats why it would cost so much to have shipped here.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about the Kargo Master?

This is the rack that I was looking into getting for my 2 door JK.

I was originally waiting for Dave's Rack. But I gotta say, I hate the JK design of it.

I just want to see what Smitybilt does for there rack before I decide on which one I will go with.

Quick Reply: Canadian Roof Racks. Your suggestions please.