Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Copper Queen - Trout Lake

Old 10-05-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Copper Queen - Trout Lake

Well....I had to bail out on my Friend Jason "Shayu" from Calgary on Friday last minute for a Trout Lake Tour and celebrate "Chinese Moon Festival".. Missed out on MOON CAKES! With my dealership ordering the wrong part and left out my clutch on Friday(Replacement of my 3rd Throw-out bearing) I was stuck without wheels for the Weekend trip with Jason (Rain Cheque next year Jason)! I finally got my JK back Saturday afternoon...a little pissed at the service manager!!!

After I got home let off a little steam....I took off the soft-top and put on the hard top for winter and looked at the forcast "Sunny" and decided....SUNDAY AM I am going for a tour!

I decided it was a nice sunny day when I got up at 6am in Revelstoke (Too early for the wife and kids)...and I went down to Trout Lake to explore more of the area and hunt down some natural hot springs in the local area. Well...I hit the 1600m (4800ft) elevation and hit the white fluffy stuff!!! I looked at the temp guage and it was -2C!

It was a little hairy at times on the trail...I hit a good sized adverse pitch on a narrow mining road....all of a sudden....I lost momentum in 2nd gear and 4LO....and started sliding backwards damn fast....Pucker factor at the MAX!!!

I was trying to steer using my rear view mirrors on a road no wider than to fit my JK and a 100% dropoff on on side and a rock bluff on the other!!! I slide for a good 150m (450ft) down this steep road section and finally hit a flat spot to slow my momentum. When I got stopped....I got out kissed the ground....WAY 2 close for comfort and Pucker to the max!!!!

I only marked up my tires from hitting the skinny pedal and trying to get the wheels to grab the rocks to slow my decent down alittle. No body damage to the JK....but freakin close with the rock bluff!!! Almost like driving INDY 500 but backwards....just about smoking the wall!!! So, I back tracked and hit another area to get up into the Alpine!

Well...here are a few pictures of my Sunday Wheeling trip!

The Ferry that I had to take to get across Arrow lakes to start my travels! Got to meet a few people that liked my JK and even a couple from the area that have a TJ that may tag along on a trip or two with me next year!

[IMG][/IMG]

Off toward Gerrard!

Trout Lake General Store......Do you notice the Gas pumps???? Old Glass jar tanks with actual hand pump....STILL FUNCTIONAL!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Road up to Cooper Queen on Silver Cup Ridge.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice morning View of Trout Lake

Black Bear Breaking Trail

More of the Trail

Hit the jackpot of snow!

Nice lake...couldn't reach down there...as the snow was deep and a nasty adverse grade getting out....didn't want to risk it!

Enjoying the view and having lunch....in the JK....little chilly up top -7C

The Clouds moving in looked like more snow on the way!!!

Cool looking color of the lake as I was heading out for home

[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 10-05-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like quite an adventure. awesome pics. i cant wait to hit snow soon...........
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

Nice pics Mike......I know the feeling of sliding backwards in snow.....not a good feeling...glad it worked out for......your heartbeat probably doubled for a while there....
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Yikes.. sounds scary.. Glad it all worked out for you.. I would`ve come out and kissed the ground too.. For a moment it actually made me think.. that for our Whipsaw run, we really should keep our distance between jeeps, esp on that white fluffy stuff...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by geebee
sounds like quite an adventure. awesome pics. i cant wait to hit snow soon...........
Thanks Geebee....it was a pretty cool adventure besides the slide!!!! Seeing the Bear Tracks heading up where I was going was pretty cool...thought I may have seen him that day...but no luck....but I was keeping my eyes peeled to the road rather than looking!

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
Nice pics Mike......I know the feeling of sliding backwards in snow.....not a good feeling...glad it worked out for......your heartbeat probably doubled for a while there....
Thanks Steve....

I was in panic mode...you get the feeling do I actually jump out...if it goes over...I am rolling a long ways!!! But I held on like an Indy racer wondering if I am gonna plow into some rocks and damage the JK or worse...go over the edge!!! Any similar incline I came across I avoided like a plaque especially by myself!

Originally Posted by Rubicon_Fan
Yikes.. sounds scary.. Glad it all worked out for you.. I would`ve come out and kissed the ground too.. For a moment it actually made me think.. that for our Whipsaw run, we really should keep our distance between jeeps, esp on that white fluffy stuff...
I would recommend a distance on a few of the hills that we took near the end of day 1 and a few on day 2 that have a good climb....There was actually a little ice built up on the road under the snow...from the freeze/thaw if the sun poked out! Or carry some chains along

Originally Posted by shayu
oh,glad to hear you are ok,mike.
that was scary.start to think if i was right behind your jeep......
My jeep will right block you from sliding,and my airbags will pop out right on my face
It was scary Jason....I would have plowed right into your front end for sure...I had some pretty good speed! that would not have been fun...popping your air bags....but you could have a new front bumper and add a winch!!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi

Thought I would add my Spot GPS location....This thing is handy....when you are wheeling alone....you can send a OK message to my email or Text a cellphone to my wife showing my location.....and if you need help just just press the help button or in case I did roll off the mine trail....I would press 911 and contact emergency dispatch of my exact coordinates.

Mike's Spot
Latitude:50.6244
Longitude:-117.38928
GPS location Date/Time:10/04/2009 10:35:58 PDT

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1
Message:Mike Checking in....all is good, enjoying the views!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW i miss the mountains, nice pics even the white stuff. Glad to here no damage could of been worse
Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
WOW i miss the mountains, nice pics even the white stuff. Glad to here no damage could of been worse
thanks hiddenprey....I love the mountains still can't get enough of them!

It could have been way worse....big scare....but the 4x4 angels and gods were looking over me that day!!!

Quick Reply: Copper Queen - Trout Lake