Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Hi from Salmon Arm

Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Salmon Arm

We got our Rubicon Unlimited in September and hit the trails the next day and every weekend until the snow flew. We're looking forward to May when we can get back out on the trails. Are there any other members near the Shuswap?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OffTheGrid
We got our Rubicon Unlimited in September and hit the trails the next day and every weekend until the snow flew. We're looking forward to May when we can get back out on the trails. Are there any other members near the Shuswap?
Revelstoke, BC here! Where have you gone wheeling? Larch hills? or up near Seymour Arm or Ansty Arm?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Revelstoke, BC here! Where have you gone wheeling? Larch hills? or up near Seymour Arm or Ansty Arm?
Mt Ida, Bastion Mtn, Fly Hills, and we tried Mara Lookout but turned back because of the snow. In the spring/summer I want to do Mara Lookout, Crowfoot, Pettipiece Pass, and wherever else I can think of. We've been up through Seymour Arm / Anstey Arm with our Suburban but not the Jeep yet. We did the complete circuit of Shuswap Lake. That was a long day, almost 300km with about half of that on logging roads.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi

Mt Ida, Bastion Mtn, Fly Hills, and we tried Mara Lookout but turned back because of the snow. In the spring/summer I want to do Mara Lookout, Crowfoot, Pettipiece Pass, and wherever else I can think of. We've been up through Seymour Arm / Anstey Arm with our Suburban but not the Jeep yet. We did the complete circuit of Shuswap Lake. That was a long day, almost 300km with about half of that on logging roads.

That is a damn long day....driving through Scotch Creek, to Seymour Town, around the Ratchford River.....did you take the North Fork Road and follow the Ratchford/Myoff and Perry River or did you turn up at 69km and take the Gorge Road and head along the Anstey Arm??? Both roads do come out at highway 1. Did you make it up to Seymour Falls on that trip???? Did you travel up the 1100 road and get into the Seymour River wetlands???

I know the Seymour/Anstey Arm as well as the Perry River/Ratchford Drainage and Crazy Creek areas very well....just part of my companies TSA (Timber Supply Area) that we develope and log.

I usually head north or south of Revelstoke to explore new country in our JK. I prefer the scenery a little more north of Revelstoke past the Bend (Goldstream/French Creek) & Mica (Fred Laing/Big Mouth) and even some portions south of Revelstoke (Aqualux & Pingston area's) as you can stubble across some old mining trails or sites up north.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
Hey Golden BC here. Just a few hours from ya. Holy crap TripleJeep you know some trails!
I know a few...but I am still exploring many more just by talking with locals and even using this site....http://www.geobc.gov.bc.ca/ to help find some cool rec sites or trails with the family.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
.....did you take the North Fork Road and follow the Ratchford/Myoff and Perry River or did you turn up at 69km and take the Gorge Road and head along the Anstey Arm??? Both roads do come out at highway 1. Did you make it up to Seymour Falls on that trip???? Did you travel up the 1100 road and get into the Seymour River wetlands???
The day we were through there the North Fork road was closed because of a slide. We had planned to come out through Mosquito Lake and Anstey anyway so that didn't really matter. After locking the keys in the car in Seymour and spending a couple of hours there extracting them we didn't have time to make many stops afterward as it was getting dark so we'll plan to do more exploring in that area this summer.

Here's the GPS plot of our drive. We travelled clockwise.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi

The day we were through there the North Fork road was closed because of a slide. We had planned to come out through Mosquito Lake and Anstey anyway so that didn't really matter. After locking the keys in the car in Seymour and spending a couple of hours there extracting them we didn't have time to make many stops afterward as it was getting dark so we'll plan to do more exploring in that area this summer.

Here's the GPS plot of our drive. We travelled clockwise.

Nice....I forgot the MOF closed the road on the Northfork around 43km this past summer....it was a minor cutbank slide....one vehicle could get by...but with SafeBC they had to have it posted as closed due to summer traffic going to Seymore Town. The North Fork can be pretty damn ugly & rough at times and I seem to always take the Gorge road if I do head back into Seymour or the Ratchford.

It's a bit of a climb up from the Ratchford river to Mosquito lake. That view from 26km on the Gorge still is just amazing looking over Anstey Arm and catching a glimpse of Hunakwa Lake (lake just north of the Anstey Arm).

If you are into hiking up into the sub-alpine and alpine a good area to go is 5th Creek about 47.5km on the gorge near the bridge that crosses the Anstey River. If you go back as far as that road will take you it will get you within 700m of alpine.....just warning bring Bear spray as this Drainage is full of Grizzly Bears.

That Google Earth is amazing now to go exploring.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Welcome, offthegrid! That's gotta be one of the nicest parts of BC you're at. I was up there this summer and had a complete blast.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Hi from Salmon Arm