Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Which Lower Mainland Dealer is mod-friendly?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Lower Mainland Dealer is mod-friendly?

Like the title says, I'd like to get a lift, bigger tires, gears, programming into the JKU sooner than later. Can anyone confirm their Lower Mainland Jeep dealership has been mod-friendly when warranty issues arise?

I live in Richmond but am willing to go to Richmond, Vancouver, Surrey and Langley dealerships if they have a track record of being mod-friendly. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Let me know when you need service, and what it is. We are pretty good I will look after ya. -Brian

Carter Dodge
4650 Lougheed Hwy
Burnaby, BC

Let me know first so I will tell them to turn a blind eye to that as much as they can
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said on another thread...The dealership will warranty all OEM parts....NOT aftermarket parts. Also, the dealer MUST PROVE that the aftermarket parts caused the issue of the OEM part(s) to fail to not warranty! If you change gearing...only warranty you will have is from the aftermarket dealer don't look to Jeep to repair.

I would recommend you don't drive in with a powerchip this will usually=automatic void warranty on the engine/powertrain even in mod-friendly dealers. if you get a programmer...ALWAYS reset to stock form or take out the powerchip before servicing or towing!

You should have not problems with a 3" or less lift and 35's with your Rubicon and 4:10 stock gearing for warranty don
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_mit
Let me know when you need service, and what it is. We are pretty good I will look after ya. -Brian

Carter Dodge
4650 Lougheed Hwy
Burnaby, BC

Let me know first so I will tell them to turn a blind eye to that as much as they can
Brian - that's a great offer and one I could definitely take you up on.

Feeling bad now that we just missed out on making a sale together
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

i take mine to the richmond dealer, for the most part they have been pretty good about doing work on it, and mine is pretty heavily modified. I only take it there for anything warrenty related though.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brian_mit

Carter Dodge
4650 Lougheed Hwy
Burnaby, BC

Brian,

My dealership in Maple Ridge (Golden Ears Chrysler - Super Daves) closed down and transformed into a Hyundai dealership, they were very good to me, I purchased my jeep from them, and would even drive 2.5 hours from Whistler to let them service it as it was covered in extended warranty. Super Dave fought like hell for me on everything warranty related (all because a different dealer "Vancouver Dodge also closed" flagged my jeep on the internal chrysler system that nothing was covered anymore) Long story, but I got royaly screwed over, cause they were bitter they were all out of a job the following week. Also Destination Dodge/Chrysler in North Vancouver are complete assholes too, I gave them two tries to do simple tasks (like services) and they screwed that up, so I refuse to patronize them anymore either. I tried to work with them 1.5 months ago about my E-disco failing for the first time int he last 3 years, and they put some complete green mechanic on it, who didn't do anything but unplug it and plug it back in, then tried to say that they would have to order the new parts, and charge me $2700 to replace the whole E-swaybar system.. I couldn't believe it, and just said give me my jeep back......thus driving me over the edge... if they were saying I wasn't covered anymore on the suspension or drivetrain anymore due to TF2.5 spacer lift (all thanks to Fuggin Vancouver Dodge) i would make sure i wasn't covered anymore which resulted in purchasing the new 513 gears, 4inch Long Arm, new drive shafts, and the complete Currie Antirock swaybar system...sorry about the rant here......I guess there goes my 5 year extended warranty....I guess I should be caling Diamler Chysler and get another file going with them again....about this BS flagging my jeep.....

Anyway, back to the point here, I am seeking a good dealership too in the LMD to do my services, a dealership that is just customer friendly. I don't expect miracles here, but just to have a good relationship again similiar to that I had with Super Daves Dodge would be great.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just talked to the Parts Guys at the Jeep dealership in Richmond Automall. He says that if you change the suspension, the suspension portion of the warranty is not honored - makes sense as it's now all aftermarket. Also, that spacers didn't affect anything. He did say flat out that if I added a lift, larger tires and new gears that, while the diffs may be a grey area, the engine and transmission were covered. Now, I know he's the Parts Guy but for those of you who have dealt with Alan before, you'll know he's been there forever and he knows what's going on in the dealership. But, just to be safe I'll have a chit-chat with the Service Manager. It would make life easier to get the JKU serviced in Richmond where I live and work.

Otherwise I'm going to have to ask Brian for a hand
Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Bear with me guys.....it's little long, but here it is.....

I had my TF2.5 BB spacer lift, intake, exhaust, 35's on AEV wheels all within 1 year of buying my rig. My dealer didn't care about any of those mods, as I kept the stock suspension, therefore honored all warranty items that arose. The problem I had, was, that I went to Vancouver Dodge, a dealership that I didn't frequent (cause I was short on time and it was 1 hr closer) which was closing down in 2 weeks, for a rattle coming from my dash, and a rattle coming from the rear gate area. Both items were so annoying that I couldn't take it anymore, and these had nothing to do with my few mods that were done.

Anyway, the Vancouver dealership, already laid off most of their mechanics, and didn't want to spend too much time on my jeep, as they were already so behind on their other customer vehicles, (which were the exact words from the mechanic,) so he tried half the day to find the problem rattles, resolve it and couldn't. So to attempt to justify their time spent on looking for the problems ( they could only duplicate the rear gate rattle, and could not find the dash rattle) they tried to say the rear gate rattle was due to my aftermarket exhaust, which was completely BS. The magnaflow exhaust was tight, not in contact with anything, and I never had any problems with it. The dealership tried to say their labour was not covered under warranty. I said BS, as both rattles are a OEM Jeep Diamler chrysler problem...yada yada yada...I get into a argument with the uptight blonde service girl, and request/demand to talk to the service manager....Of course the manager stands behind his team, and only relays what I already was told...we get into a big arguement, and I said I'm not paying for their incompetence, and my vehicle is still under warranty. I purchased the bumper to bumper 5 year 100K extended coverage, and this falls into that bumper to bumper coverage they advertise. Manager gives up and says fine, gives me my keys, I leave pissed off now having wasted 3/4's of my day waiting with no vehicle and no results.

Approximately 7-9 months later, I end up going in for a cracked manifold (quite common with our JK's) which I complained about to my dealership (Super Dave's) months before (ticking, sewing machine sound soming from engine more magnified on start up) Super Daves tells, me that it will be covered under warranty no problem. They tare into the exhaust manifolds, and sure enough one side is cracked. Then when they go to order me the new part, they see that my entire jeep suspension, transmission, and drivetrain, including exhaust, are all flagged as to be no longer covered. My dealership ends up making a file with Diamler Chrysler on my behalf standing up for me, advising i'm a really good customer, and that Vancouver Dodge had no right to do this to me. It takes a couple weeks of fighting, and having a Diamler Chrysler rep come out to see my jeep, for them to honor the manifold. Repair done and I leave happy.

So here I think my problem of being flagged on their system went away, and that my jeep is back to full coverage again. Then, another 5 months or so, go by and the f&$@ing E-disco fails, then I take it to Destination Chrysler, and they pretend to disganose the problem (see above post) then say it's not covered, as my jeep is still flagged in their system. I said Pardon????, leave with jeep in hand, driving around disconnected all the time. I knew the battle I was about to have, and knew that Destination chrysler wouldn't do anything for me as Super Daves had. I decide to give the old Super Dave's (now Hyundai) a call, as all the old employees remained there. I talked to the helpful service girl, kiely, who knows me by first name, and knows about my past issues with diamler Chrysler. I tell her what happened, and that my jeep is still flagged on the Diamler Chrysler system. She says, that they actually were aware that the flag on my jeep wasn't removed back when the manifold issue arose, but stated that since I was such a dedicated customer, they honored it anyway, and would have continued to honor any warranty problems without having to fight with Dialmer Chrysler. I said that sucks, but would be great if Super Daves still existed and thanked her again for all the great service and treatment over the last 3 years. Then I hung up the phone, and made the call to David @ Northridge......F@%k am I mad, and now I haven't wasted my time with calling Diamler Chrysler to start another file/review with my jeep.

Hence I need a good dealership that actually knows what the hell they are doing. I am telling you, that if all of us locals here would frequent one dealership, one dealership that we would not get screwed around, which would result in a whole lot more business. We need a dealership that is knowledgable, consistant, and recognizes what is BS and what isn't BS with OEM parts failing on our rigs. Someone who know offroading.

Rant over......................................for now

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 11-06-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

I will say though, that I could not be happier with the newly acquired and installed mods on my rig that I wanted to do for a long time, but just hadn't dropped the cash to do it, until the recent. All I care about now, is to be covered on electrical, engine, transmission, transfer case stuff......everything else has been modded, and I don't want any dealership to touch it ever again....once I reach the 100k mark on my jeep, I will be doing my own services anyway, just like I already do for the diffs, transmission, and transfer case oil changes......Our site here is great for aiding in us doing our own services.. Thanks Eddie, this site rocks
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

If you're worried about warranty coverage then just leave the jeep stock. Even if a service manager will tell that they'll cover your jeep now, it's not gauranteed. I had a modified TJ for years and had no problem with warranty from Marine Chrysler. I never did however had any major problem that required warranty.

Quick Reply: Which Lower Mainland Dealer is mod-friendly?