Notices
Whats In Our Shop In-house builds and projects

MBRP Diesel Jeep – 4 Door JK Truck

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
heck I am running MBRP muffler through Dual 7" stacks on my dodge!

Lookin fwd to the build!
That what I like to hear !!

Thanks much

MB
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by Dark_Star
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSick! Can I put my order in for one right now!!!!
Yes place your order tomorrow. Keep in mind we dont even know how were are finishing this one yet ......

MB
Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Off topic question, so you guys in Canada dont have any emissions requirements like the US, ie. same or newer year engine installed in whatever year vehicle? I really dig the project![/QUOTE]

I think we do but its not enforced here like it is in some US States so its knd of "take a chance" on each build.

MB
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Can you effectively fit the 12V in the stock engine compartment or are you going to need to mod for space?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bingote
is that really necessary?... looks like a lot of contamination!
If you look at the information about hydrocarbons that black smoke from diesel is actually "better" then the emissions from most gas engines. And yes its necessary if you want to run over everything.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09SDunlimited
If you look at the information about hydrocarbons that black smoke from diesel is actually "better" then the emissions from most gas engines. And yes its necessary if you want to run over everything.
i don't know a lot about engines, so, i had to ask, cause all i see is black smoke, wich is not (or at least doesn't look) good. But, i understand, and i'll do my search... is ok if it's not that bad after all

i still want to see this project done!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notenuftoys
Here's a 12 valve that John Robinson used to run. His goal was to see how fast it would go with off-the-shelf parts. I helped him swap out turbos and rebuild the motor in Indy in 2008 after he blew two turbos on two runs. He's been running a funny car with a pretty trick set up the past couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4SzL8n4z0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1xoxNBEOo&feature=player_embedded I would rather be behind the banks version, they were way faster, and burned cleaner! Check the times and speeds.

Oh, and by the way, some of the reasons for stacks are good. It is just that the vast majority of jag-off around her are not hauling trailers with their built up queens, nor are they doing any real off roading. They have them for show - sort of the mall crawlers of the truck world.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimmiT
I would rather be behind the banks version, they were way faster, and burned cleaner! Check the times and speeds.

Oh, and by the way, some of the reasons for stacks are good. It is just that the vast majority of jag-off around her are not hauling trailers with their built up queens, nor are they doing any real off roading. They have them for show - sort of the mall crawlers of the truck world.
Can't compare what John was doing in 2007, his first year building the rail, and what Banks has going. Absolutely no comparison in budget, and John was completely off-the-shelf, no custom parts except for intake and exhaust tubing. I've lost track of what Banks is doing, but he's almost all custom except for the block (Duramax?). But I agree, you'd miss the entire run if you stood behind John at the start!

Banks has come around in actually participating and supporting the diesel drag racing scene. Back in 07 and 08, you mention Banks at a track and you get very dirty looks. Glad to see them contributing.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by JKred
Can you effectively fit the 12V in the stock engine compartment or are you going to need to mod for space?
There will be modding of course but we really thought we were going to have to use a 2500 Ram frame to build this project when we first started but after getting the 3.8 out of the Jk we we very happy to find there is a lot of room in the engine bay. The distance between the rails is more than we thought it might be .

We will have to mod the firewall due to the length of the cummins and I have have a feeling getting twin turbos and the 4" exhaust pipe down under the truck is going to be fun but we think it can be done.

MB
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, Banks was working this in '07-'09:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkru4au8GqI They were a bit slower in late '07 than this run, but brought it up quite well.

I agree, budget has a lot to do with it, but it is not that poor racers have to produce smoke (or street drivers).

Let's face it, here are some reasons for smoking diesel engines

* Black smoke = Unburned Diesel
* Blue smoke = Engine oil being burnt.
* White smoke is normally ‘steam’ which means water is vaporizing! If it is white ‘smoke’ then it could be as a result of low engine temperature. White Smoke will smell of unburned diesel - White ‘Steam’ will not.

A well tuned diesel may smoke a bit on acceleration, but need not smoke to high hell. Saying that a poorly tuned diesel is better than a gas engine is absurd as well. It is true a properly tuned diesel burns cleaner than a gas engine, but that does not necessarily hold true when it is burning inefficiently.

I applaud MBRP for the diesel build, as I would like to see either aftermarket or factory options in diesel.

edit: I just hope they do not decide to pour smoke out of the thing to try and show "it has diesel balls" when it not really necessary.

Last edited by TimmiT; 01-06-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: MBRP Diesel Jeep – 4 Door JK Truck