Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ESP BAS warning Light

Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hope this works.

I have posted in 2 other threads about how my ABS, BAS and traction control lights stay on even though I don't have any faults in the computer. I tried this wheel dance before after I replaced the sensors and I must have got lucky. I forgot about turning off the Jeep after you complete the left to right dance. I will post my results.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I just finished working on a friends '10 JK 4dr. He was having the same problem after having gone wheelin. Initially the lights would come on and go back off. Then they came back on and stayed.

I was able to find that on the right rear, the speed sensor wires were worn raw and shorting out on the frame by the gas tank. There is a sharp edge of the frame that the wires can and did catch on.

I was able to cut, splice, and lengthen the wires, tape them with electrical tape to keep out the water and grit. Drove it less than 50 feet and the light went off and has not come back on.

The problem is that the BAS recognizes that one wheel is not turning as fast as the others (due to the short) and applies the brakes. It thinks you are about to roll over.

Check all the wires on the speed sensors especially if you ride is lifted. these tend to have a greater chance of rubbing.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LordEgg
A fix for this that came from My Girlfriend.

My girlfriend has a little mercedes kompressor that would do stuff similar to this and when my JK unlimited did it, she said go out (and this works) to the jeep, turn it on, turn wheels all the way left, then all the way right, then turn off. then turn on and drive. upon shifting to second it will go off. I swear to GOD it worked. I was floored.
I never would have thought it, but this worked for me. Both my lights came on this morning. My tire pressure sensor has been going off as well since it has started getting cold. I thought it might have been the low air pressure causing it, but turned the wheel to the right and left then turned the Jeep off. Turned it back on and as soon as I shifted into second the lights went off. Craziness.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

My girlfriend has a little mercedes kompressor that would do stuff similar to this and when my JK unlimited did it, she said go out (and this works) to the jeep, turn it on, turn wheels all the way left, then all the way right, then turn off. then turn on and drive. upon shifting to second it will go off. I swear to GOD it worked. I was floored.

Over 9 years later and this particular post is still helping. I haven't been active on the JK forums because of work. I was very active on the S2000 forums but I just want to thank LordEgg for this post. I was heading home from watching Kung fu panda 3 with my kids and these alights came on. Got home and looked it up and stumbled across this post. Adjusted the steering wheel to straighten it out and then did this. Magic ensued and the lights went away.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks to you and your girlfriend. It didn't work the first time, but I tried it again and the light's off now. Crazy electronics in these newer vehicles.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by llyrad
Unbelievably, this actually worked for mine as well!!!! Thanks
I tried this several times and it did no work for me. I so wanted the easy fix I don't have the time or $$ right know for this shit!

Quick Reply: ESP BAS warning Light