Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ESP BAS warning Light

Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP BAS warning Light

Heres another FYI. My JK seems to hate me
I come out of a movie the other night turn on the Jeep and the ESP/BAS as well as the ESP traction control warning lights came on and stayed on. I thought it was odd but no big deal. I thought maybe they will go away later right? I can turn off the ESP with the button down below, no biggie, drove home without a hitch other than those 2 warning lights.

I try to go to work the next morning and the same lights come on again, I have to deal with it later because I have to go to work.
Same process, so I turn off the ESP and go on my merry way to work. About 1/10 of a mile down the road the ESP/BAS warning light goes away so I think "great it fixed itself and was just a fluke" but then I turn the corner to head out of the neighborhood and the ESP traction control light guy starts intermittently blinking at me.

Crap what the hell does that mean? Right around then Im going right around 30 mph and I can feel the Jeep trying to brake for me. Weird, so I left off the gas and get back on it and it seemed to have gone away. I come to the intersection where I leave the neighborhood and get into traffic. My traffic opening comes so I pull out, 1st gear...2nd gear...3rd... Jeep is trying to brake again this time Im actually trying to get to speed from the traffic behind me but the more I try to accelerate the more it tries to slow me to a stop. WTF?!
I pull over on the side of the road, ESP traction light still blinking, I think I cant deal with this right now Ive got to get to work. I limp home with the same conditions and grab my brothers car.

I get to work and call up my dealership and Chrysler roadside assistance/towing.
They cant seem to reproduce it with several different drivers behind the wheel. Including "we had one of the girls in our service lane drive it and she couldnt get it to do it either" Who the hell is this random girl driving my Jeep?
Im baffled so I went down last night to try to reproduce the symptoms again, nothing. They are keeping it again today for another whack at it but they dont know what Im talking about and claim the computer never put up such a warning.

So here I am, second time its been in the shop for something seemingly major. But they cant reproduce it this time and I dont want this gremlin biting me in the butt later down the road when its least wanted or expected.

Any you all have thoughts on the matter? Maybe driver error at one point? Spooky gremlins that vanish into thin air? I can drive a manual, Im not completely retarded nor a total newbie at a stick. At the very least 7 years and valet/lot porter experience.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Were the conditions slippery at all when you were pulling out of your neighborhood?
THe blinking means its actively trying to "correct" something. If it was wet, and you were a little assertive with the gas pedal it would kick in. I had the BAS/ESP light come on and stay on for a while when I did not disengage the esp on the beach. It went away about five minutes later without ill effects.

Last edited by Ge99ne; 01-11-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was dry as a...I cant think of a proper metaphor By dry conditions, the only thing different from the time Ive had it before is that its just started to become cold here in northern Virginia. Like 20-30s in the morning.
No ice, no water no loose gravel. Just dry pavement
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

I am not sure how or where the sensors are connected, but it sounds like and intermittent wheel speed sensor connection/problem. If no codes come up and it is behaving like there is slip, I would guess that it really thinks you are slipping. Check the connections at the wheel (or make the dealer) and where they come into the computer (that may be near impossible). If it happens again, come to a stop, hold down the button for 5+ seconds. That will turn it off and you should be able to continue on.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine came on after I installed the lift , When I took it in for alignment, the service manager told they had to retrain all four sensers for the ABS due to the increase in tire size. It seems to have worked, I havent had a problem since and I tested the esp the other day at an on ramp, all seems to be good. I havent heard of anyone else having this problem, untill now. My service manager didnt charge me for this service, I think they were to excited because mine was the first lifted JK they've had in the shop.

I'll have to make him my best friend
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ABS is a seperate warning light. ESP BAS according to the manual is one of or a combo of ESP or Brake Assist System
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

If they are staying on, after starting and before moving the vehicle, I'd be thinking ignition switch. Wiggle it the next time it happens.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a recall for ABS and Traction Control. DC just hasn't sent out the notices yet (not like that stuff is important to our safety)
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

I have had the 2 lights come on and both at the same situation, running low on gas, warning light telling me so, fill up with gas and when I drive away from the pump I have both lights on. Switch off the ignition and switch back on again and both lights are no longer on, not sure if its any help but I thought I would chip in the only occasions it has happened to me.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ours came on a few weeks ago. It was the morning after we ran some trails in Moab. It was on for about 30-60 minutes and then popped on again for about 2 minutes a few days later. Hasn't came on since.

Quick Reply: ESP BAS warning Light