Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Neutral Safety Switch Fix

Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neutral Safety Switch Fix

I finally got video proof that there is an issue with the neutral safety switch on the JK. Chrysler won't admit it but they can deny this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5mTy3l13Vw

Last edited by SpudNuts; 07-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Video unavailable
Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, went YouTube.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Neutral safety switch (transmission range sensor) fix?...Or shifter cable out of adjustment?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On most vehicles there is some adjustment to the neutral safety switch (PRNDL switch) at the mounting holes. By the slight amount you had to move the shifter, I'd say it would take very little adjustment to fix it.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

There is no conventional neutral safety switch on the JK 42RLE.
The Transmission Range Sensor assumes that function, among other functions. It's a series of 4 switches, inside the transmission.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SHIFT MECHANISM

1. The floor shifter lever and gate positions should be in alignment with all transmission PARK, NEUTRAL, and gear detent positions.
2. Engine starts must be possible with floor shift lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any other gear position.
3. With floor shift lever handle push-button not depressed and lever in:
a. PARK position - Apply forward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
b. PARK position - Apply rearward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
c. NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
d. NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply forward force on center of shift handle. Transmission shall not be able to shift from NEUTRAL to REVERSE.

Also...

Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the engine starts only in these positions. Adjustment is INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not start at all, the Transmission Range Sensor may be faulty.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Argh!!! Had a problem trying to start my JK three times this week. Wonder if this is the problem.

Spent a 1/2 day trying to diagnose the problem (no trouble found, all diagnostics pass, battery OK, etc) during a 4-day wheeling trip in Colorado with the kids and severely limit my options on other days because I wasn't sure what the problem was and didn't want to get stuck in BFE with a JK that wouldn't start.

I'll try this next time.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

blah blah blah, you can try to clear it all up with some real technical mumbo jumbo and fancy pictures but i've read a ton of hits on this and spent the cash on a new battery to find out that all I needed to do was push my shifter up a very very tiny distance.

If the tolerance is that small, then there is a problem. I've never had this problem on any vehicle i've ever driven and for a JK that some cost over 40K to have some issues like this is ridiculous. I would really like to know just how much has been spent by the customer on attempted fixed for this very problem.

During my attempt to fix, I did the following:

Re-wired CB Radio (since it was the last thing I installed prior to my first no start)
Paid $45 for a diag that showed no issues
$65 for a new battery
And finally, 5 minutes on google and 1.5 seconds on my shifter.
I still have the issue and I've heard that Chrysler has sent out a technical bulletin on this but I havn't seen jack and my dealer doesn't know anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
Wol Jason (12-15-2021)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SpudNuts
blah blah blah, you can try to clear it all up with some real technical mumbo jumbo and fancy pictures but i've read a ton of hits on this and spent the cash on a new battery to find out that all I needed to do was push my shifter up a very very tiny distance.

If the tolerance is that small, then there is a problem. I've never had this problem on any vehicle i've ever driven and for a JK that some cost over 40K to have some issues like this is ridiculous. I would really like to know just how much has been spent by the customer on attempted fixed for this very problem.

During my attempt to fix, I did the following:

Re-wired CB Radio (since it was the last thing I installed prior to my first no start)
Paid $45 for a diag that showed no issues
$65 for a new battery
And finally, 5 minutes on google and 1.5 seconds on my shifter.
I still have the issue and I've heard that Chrysler has sent out a technical bulletin on this but I havn't seen jack and my dealer doesn't know anything about it.
I apologize for jumping into your thread, then. My intent was to show there is no simple neutral safety switch in the system, for those who may have thought there is.

My first post simply asked if an adjustment to the cable may be in order, since pushing the lever forward makes it work.
I also thought including the steps to diagnose and test the shift mechanism may be helpful to you, or someone else. I had no idea you already spent all kinds of money on the problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

I may have this same issue. Has only happened twice. First time it started on the 2nd or 3rd try. Then was fine for weeks. This last time, I tried to start it about 20 times until it finally fired up. I was getting pissed. Will remember the shifter press for next time, and will bring it up to my dealership next time I'm there.

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch Fix