Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Neutral Safety Switch Fix

Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isnt just a JK thing, this is a very common issue with automatics from every automaker, my old Nissan did it, my Volkswagon did it, my wifes Rav4 Limited does it. etc. the dealer may not be willing to accept it as a known issue since it can be something very common to happen from just simple wear over time, (my guess). You would be better off just going to a trusted mechanic.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I apologize for jumping into your thread, then. My intent was to show there is no simple neutral safety switch in the system, for those who may have thought there is.

My first post simply asked if an adjustment to the cable may be in order, since pushing the lever forward makes it work.
I also thought including the steps to diagnose and test the shift mechanism may be helpful to you, or someone else. I had no idea you already spent all kinds of money on the problem.
No shit! Down tigger.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the click no start for the first time tonight.

My remote start did the trick, didn't know to try and push on the floor shifter.

Wonder why the remote start would work and not the key?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

I've been dealing with this issue for the past year. I was out of idea's & completely stumped on what the problem was until recently.

Figured out a work-around.

Turn key to ACC > Shift into Neutral > Turn the key to roll it over & it should start.

If not, shift back into Park & try starting again. 90% of the time this works without much hassle. I have been left stranded about 5 times in the last year for 20+ minutes until it decided to work.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin

My remote start did the trick, didn't know to try and push on the floor shifter.

If your remote start works but not the key, then your range sensor isn't the issue. Your vehicle must be in park for the remote start to work. My guess is it's your ignition switch.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpudNuts
blah blah blah, you can try to clear it all up with some real technical mumbo jumbo and fancy pictures but i've read a ton of hits on this and spent the cash on a new battery to find out that all I needed to do was push my shifter up a very very tiny distance.

If the tolerance is that small, then there is a problem. I've never had this problem on any vehicle i've ever driven and for a JK that some cost over 40K to have some issues like this is ridiculous. I would really like to know just how much has been spent by the customer on attempted fixed for this very problem.

During my attempt to fix, I did the following:

Re-wired CB Radio (since it was the last thing I installed prior to my first no start)
Paid $45 for a diag that showed no issues
$65 for a new battery
And finally, 5 minutes on google and 1.5 seconds on my shifter.
I still have the issue and I've heard that Chrysler has sent out a technical bulletin on this but I havn't seen jack and my dealer doesn't know anything about it.
im still pushing my shifter up but no have new issue , driving and shifting felt weird like a misfire, today stuck in traffic no forward no reverse or park vehicle starts in every gear but noting at all, The shifter thing took a while to figure out after countless cps and tinkering, then just left for antitheft, nit very happy with either of my jeeps and no no movement at all going on lift today but seems like torque converter crapped out or bolts fell out? As when in any gear roles away , but happened while driving just lost gear and costed to center median on 6 lane hwy where speeds exess of 65 being stuck there gave me a wake up, cars both way 2’ away. Today hopefully fine issue Then hell with it have a complete 02 chevy truck wreaked with 30k mikes next couple weeks mopar power out chevy iN
trick has just been used Around house as it has no doors one fender nothing on one side lol really a frame engine and half bed, hit by two truck but runs like a dream. Cheers to all sorry forcthe babble, sorry to hear of all your jeep problem especially at the peices these go for, But JEEP = just spend every penny!
Old 12-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I was one of the first with this issue (2008) and after adding the extra ground wire I felt like the problem was solved. Then it happened a few times after that, but maybe about 1 time per year. It wasn't until I was completely stuck in park in the middle of nowhere in Baja (2015) that I finally had to crawl underneath the vehicle and look at the linkage going to the transmission. There you will find a bushing that connects your shifter to the transmission, and mine had completely fallen off. This was the reason I was stuck in park after some heavy off-roading. Luckily it was an easy fix and I just popped it back on and all was well. Once I returned home from my trip, I needed to address this issue since a few months later it completely fell off and would no longer snap back on. A new shifter cable assembly was a few hours of labor and at least $200 in parts. Really the easiest fix was to just replace the bushing itself, but it was not sold. You had to purchase the entire assembly. I did my research on the JK-Forum and found a member who fixed this by using a different manufacturer bushing that simply just needed to be trimmed slightly with a pair of side cutters. For $4 I figured give it a try. Not only did this solve the busing issue, and it snapped right back on with a tight fit, but I have never had the No Start condition (pushing up on shifter or N shift) to start the vehicle ever again.

I'm willing to bet if you have the no start condition, if you go underneath the vehicle and move the transmission fully into park, it will start right up. That little push forward on the shifter may just be slightly putting the vehicle into park. If you have ever played with that part of the transmission, you will see that it doesn't take much movement to put it into the different gears.

My problem is solved, but I hope someone reading this who has that exact issue gives it a try and sees if it solves the issue for them. We would know for sure at that point what the fix is. I ran the extra wire, added a high-end AGM battery, replaced the starter/wiring and also the Wireless Control Module. The issue always continued. That may be the issue for other people and those could be the fixes for them, but I really think it's the bushing that leaves a bit of slop even from that factory that is the cause. I posted a picture of it in my thread about it a long time ago. It's on here somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by EHarris:
Matt Baulier (07-25-2023), Wol Jason (12-15-2021)
Old 10-18-2023, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Neutral safety switch fix

Originally Posted by webejeepin

that is weird,I have the same problem as you,but my remote start does not work because of the play or what ever it is.

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch Fix