Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

shallow mount subs

Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shallow mount subs

Has anyone put shallow mount subs under one of the front seats? tried to search but coulndt find anything
Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
JK Freak

There really isn't much room up there. A crossbeam goes under the seat between the center hump and the door. I should remember how thick it is from when I lined it - but I think 2-3". It would have to be a very shallow mount, and a very low volume sub.

Did you have a sub in mind? I have wanted to get that sub out of the back since I bought mine, but didn't want to lose the sound. Do they have any 2-3" subs, other than the magnet? Say 5" total depth, with the ability to handle a very low volume box? It has been forever since I did anything with subs, but I remember them being 8" or so deep for 10" subs.

If there is a sub like that, I would be interested. It wouldn't be too much work to shave up a foam block to fit under the seat, line it with fiberglass and melt the foam out with acetone.

Need to stop going on this site, every time I think I am "done" for a while, I get another idea from here.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Shallow mount sub

I was doing some research on this and ran across this sub.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=245

I'd like to see the results if anyone has done the under the front seat.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

i was thinking rockford fosgate p3 shallow. only 3.5 inch mounting depth...

h ttp://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=4&series_id=31&family_i d=55&item_id=108282&locale=en_US&p_status=
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Freak

The TW5 has a 0.80 cubic foot optimum and a 2.5" depth? AND it is a 12"? That sounds potentially doable, but that box would be hard to fit. And at $550 that is a stop for me at least. The punch has 3 1/2" depth, 0.50 and for an 11". And it can be had for $90. If you could really build a box, I think it could work. The plus side of the passenger seat is that it doesn't go up and down so you could build the box all the way up.

Subscribed, I want to see what you guys come up with.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
JK Freak

the JL audio 13tw5 is actually 13.5 inch subwoofer. It would be really really crazy to fit it under the front seat, im 90% sure it wont fit, only way to possibly make it fit is a full fiberglass enclosure. My speaker box for my 13TW5 would bearly fit under the rear seat, later in summer im going to make a new box to fit my JL Audio subwoofer under the rear seat with alil fiberglass and MDF.

My current box I have setup sitting in the rear cargo area bare, if I shave a 1/4" it could start fitting under the seat but Im going to redesign it make it wider and shorter to fit better under my rear seat but not till June

Last edited by fastrat350; 05-08-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fastrat350
the JL audio 13tw5 is actually 13.5 inch subwoofer. It would be really really crazy to fit it under the front seat, im 90% sure it wont fit, only way to possibly make it fit is a full fiberglass enclosure. My speaker box for my 13TW5 would bearly fit under the rear seat, later in summer im going to make a new box to fit my JL Audio subwoofer under the rear seat with alil fiberglass and MDF.
13.5" I guess I should have gotten that from the 13 before the rest of it. I guess you can get them for less than $550 too, when I saw that as MSRP I stopped looking. $300 is still a serious chuck of change though.

I still think the TW5 could fit, it would just take some serious box building. There is an easy 14" between the seat posts on the front seat, but getting 0.60 even would mean fitting every curve.

Is there an advantage to 13.5" vs 11"? I know I knew this at one point, but it seems to have escaped me - getting older sucks. You get the lower tones, but don't 11" give you everything you can hear, and just leave out some of what you feel? I am happy enough with the 8" (?) stock in the back so I know the 13.5 is way overkill for me, but what do you gain?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rickyj
13.5" I guess I should have gotten that from the 13 before the rest of it. I guess you can get them for less than $550 too, when I saw that as MSRP I stopped looking. $300 is still a serious chuck of change though.

I still think the TW5 could fit, it would just take some serious box building. There is an easy 14" between the seat posts on the front seat, but getting 0.60 even would mean fitting every curve.

Is there an advantage to 13.5" vs 11"? I know I knew this at one point, but it seems to have escaped me - getting older sucks. You get the lower tones, but don't 11" give you everything you can hear, and just leave out some of what you feel? I am happy enough with the 8" (?) stock in the back so I know the 13.5 is way overkill for me, but what do you gain?

Go see the Jl Audio 13TW5 in person its a beauty, huge voice coil, the 13TW5 has really tight bass, more for rock, it doesnt hit right on some hip-hop music. It is a great sub, though locally I was actually able to get it new for 249 from an authorized dealer. Actually the place I bought mine runs the company DB-Drive which is there own audio company.

Your better off trying to install the alpine type R thin subwoofer, they make it in 10" and 12" and requires 3.5" mounting depth with the same .80 cubic airspace needed and handles 600watts RMS.

The 10" is the same mounting depth and cubic space so you better off just going with a 12" for the added excursion which equals to better hitting bass. is all about box design.

I cant put a sub under my pass. seat because my amp is mounted to the rails of the passenger seat.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fastrat350
Go see the Jl Audio 13TW5 in person its a beauty, huge voice coil, the 13TW5 has really tight bass, more for rock, it doesnt hit right on some hip-hop music. It is a great sub, though locally I was actually able to get it new for 249 from an authorized dealer. Actually the place I bought mine runs the company DB-Drive which is there own audio company.

Your better off trying to install the alpine type R thin subwoofer, they make it in 10" and 12" and requires 3.5" mounting depth with the same .80 cubic airspace needed and handles 600watts RMS.

The 10" is the same mounting depth and cubic space so you better off just going with a 12" for the added excursion which equals to better hitting bass. is all about box design.

I cant put a sub under my pass. seat because my amp is mounted to the rails of the passenger seat.
The 13TW5 is definitely a beauty, and that is just seeing it online. Amazing how far stuff has come in ten or so years. And I am not at all a bass freak anymore, but a 2.5" thick sub that is 13.5" is something else. When I put my 10" in so long ago, I remember it being as deep as it was wide and taking a 2.5 cf box or so, and that was minimum IIRC.

I am definitely interested now, it is just the 0.80 cf volume that is a problem. Just doing the quick calculations makes that a tight if not impossible fit. That is a VERY small box from the big ones I remember, but fitting it under a seat becomes an issue. You seem to know your stuff pretty well, so do you know of any 0.5 cf or so subs? Can the alpine run at .4-.5? I think at my age LOL that I am more for the ultratight bass response anyways, so I am fine giving up volume and the "boom" as long as the speaker can handle it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rickyj
The 13TW5 is definitely a beauty, and that is just seeing it online. Amazing how far stuff has come in ten or so years. And I am not at all a bass freak anymore, but a 2.5" thick sub that is 13.5" is something else. When I put my 10" in so long ago, I remember it being as deep as it was wide and taking a 2.5 cf box or so, and that was minimum IIRC.

I am definitely interested now, it is just the 0.80 cf volume that is a problem. Just doing the quick calculations makes that a tight if not impossible fit. That is a VERY small box from the big ones I remember, but fitting it under a seat becomes an issue. You seem to know your stuff pretty well, so do you know of any 0.5 cf or so subs? Can the alpine run at .4-.5? I think at my age LOL that I am more for the ultratight bass response anyways, so I am fine giving up volume and the "boom" as long as the speaker can handle it.
pioneer makes also a shallow sub, their specs call for a .35-.70 cubic feet box

The 8" shallow sub calls for .15-.50 airspace and 120watts RMS
the 10" calls for .35-.70 airspace and 300watts RMS
the 12" calls for .50-1.0 airspace and 400watts RMS

The pioneers im not too sure about because the wide range in airspace, their premade box for the 12" has .62 airspace, so based on there premade box the 12" probably is optimal at .62 airspace.

I always thought of putting a pair of their 10's under the seats but never did it, the pioneers are cheap to come by also, but not best shallow sub, but if you want alil bass then a pair of those might do with a good solid 500-600watt amp(2channel)

Quick Reply: shallow mount subs