Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2015 JKUR-HR Build Thread - Bright White - Mudmutt

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Backup Camera Functioning!!!

Was able to find a dealer who is "mod friendly" and get the head unit config changed (Diehl in the Pittsburgh area). Based on the Jeeps in the lot and how easy they were to deal with, I think that I'll use them for any other services I need that I have to have done by the dealership.

The picture is pretty good, I moved the camera down just a bit from that angle, but overall I'm happy.

The one thing I noted that's different than cars I've had with this as a factory option... Because the camera power is from the reverse light, at the instant you move out of reverse, the camera shuts off. In other vehicles, it seems to have a 5-10 second delay before shutting off. I'm not an expert with electrical work, but if I can find some type of capacitor that would help maintain the 12v for 5-10 seconds, it may be a nice mod to make to this setup.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Minor update from last week, plates...

until I'm able to get a winch installed at least.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

And actually putting the whole thing to good use:

Old 05-13-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Backup Camera

Are you still pleased with your choice of backup camera and installation area?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Was there any reason that your spare wouldn't fit with the stock carrier(aside from the added weight and stress on the spot welds)? I have a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock as well and was able to fit a 35" BFG KO2 with stock wheel on the tire carrier without a spacer or anything except for cutting down the CHMSL and having it shine through the spokes on the wheel.

Anywho, Jeep looks nice!!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rubi6speed
Are you still pleased with your choice of backup camera and installation area?
I don't have any experience with any other aftermarket cameras, so I can't empirically say it's "better" than anything else, but for where I installed it and how it works, I'm very happy with this camera. I don't think the "bullet" style camera that everyone uses to flush mount in bumpers (or elsewhere) would have worked for me.

Two observations after living with this for a couple of weeks.

1.) The guidelines are obviously a "one size fits all" design for this camera. I've backed up to where a wall is all the way at the end of the guides, well into the Red, and found that I"m still 8-12 inches away from the wall. So I just adjust.

2.) Because the camera is attached to the back up light, it's only powered while the Jeep in IN reverse. As soon as I take it out, the camera turns off. On other vehicles I'm used to there bing a 5-6 second delay (I think I mentioned this earlier). Since then I've fumbled around the radio settings a bit and there was a new option added to the radio setup when they enabled the rearview camera. It appears to be the setting to set the radio for that delay. I've turned it on and the screen looks like the radio is continuing to "see" the camera for a few seconds after I remove from reverse, however the camera doesn't have power so it's just a black screen with an X then. So I still need to solve the issue of a power capacitor or something to help keep it on for just a bit longer.

But simple answer, yes, I'm happy with it. I guess I could have started with that...
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cabech984
Was there any reason that your spare wouldn't fit with the stock carrier(aside from the added weight and stress on the spot welds)? I have a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock as well and was able to fit a 35" BFG KO2 with stock wheel on the tire carrier without a spacer or anything except for cutting down the CHMSL and having it shine through the spokes on the wheel.

Anywho, Jeep looks nice!!
Without modifying the CHMSL, certainly the lugs wouldn't reach the spare tire with the added width. Since I already knew I didn't want the weight on my tailgate, I guess I didn't pursue trying to make that work any further. I knew I could have also used another wheel spacer and that would have accomplished the same thing, but I didn't want to invest into something I knew wasn't my long term plan. Good to know it CAN fit with some trimming (which sounds like everything with a Jeep...).

Are you planning to stay with this configuration long term? Do you have pictures of how you trimmed the CHMSL?
Old 05-17-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kevjeep
Without modifying the CHMSL, certainly the lugs wouldn't reach the spare tire with the added width. Since I already knew I didn't want the weight on my tailgate, I guess I didn't pursue trying to make that work any further. I knew I could have also used another wheel spacer and that would have accomplished the same thing, but I didn't want to invest into something I knew wasn't my long term plan. Good to know it CAN fit with some trimming (which sounds like everything with a Jeep...).

Are you planning to stay with this configuration long term? Do you have pictures of how you trimmed the CHMSL?

One day, I'll buy an aftermarket tire carrier. For now, it seems to be holding up fine although I only have 700 miles of regular driving with it on the back. I just hope that I buy a carrier before any damage happens to the tailgate. Since its touching the factory bumpstops and the bumper, I don't think I'll have to worry about vibration tearing it apart. Just hope the extra 18lbs of tire doesnt kill it!

Here's a link to the mod: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...sl-mod-9352/#b
Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice thread and install, can you send me the link of the actual camera the you bought off Amazon. I just want to make sure the one I get will definitely work. I also just picked up my Rubicon Hard Rock edition and wanted to add a back up camera.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crash n Burn
Nice thread and install, can you send me the link of the actual camera the you bought off Amazon. I just want to make sure the one I get will definitely work. I also just picked up my Rubicon Hard Rock edition and wanted to add a back up camera.
No problem. This is the camera on Amazon:

Amazon.com : EskyŽ EC170-08 100% Waterproof Night Vision High Definition Car Rear View Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle, Butterfly-Sized, Stainless Polished Surface : Car Electronics

Quick Reply: 2015 JKUR-HR Build Thread - Bright White - Mudmutt