Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...

Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Im almost settled in. My 4.5 car garage is going to be fully insulated and all new. I can't wait. Id love to wheel, but have a few more things to do. Just need my garage for it.
After the weekend at Rausch, I should be ready to wheel. We should find a weekend for a Badlands trip.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi

I agree. Are you streeting yours or do you have a trailer for those long trips?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
I agree. Are you streeting yours or do you have a trailer for those long trips?
I can trailer, but if it's nothing crazy I would drive. Will prolly trailer the first couple trips just in case.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

I can trailer, but if it's nothing crazy I would drive. Will prolly trailer the first couple trips just in case.
I hear ya there first trip i expected all my axles to rip out lol. I need a trailer and truck. Ive just been driving this mofo with no fear yet... No one has died yet.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Pretty solid weekend. Finished my skid plate. Not much to cover anymore. The one small 6" x 4" section is the only part under my jeep that hangs below the frame. It is about 1" deep and covers the low corner of the t-case. I'll take it. Decided to use counter sunk bolts as well.

Also got half of my corner armor done. Really happy about how it turned out. I made the compound curve on my press brake. Took less than 30 minutes of bending. For the side I used my MetalCloak Exo Skins as a partial template and then moved the wheel opening back. I didn't want a massive wheel opening. Welded together and looks great. Reused the MC mounts, so it was actually a pretty quick project. I ended up going with 10 gauge steel. 3/16" was too much and 1/8" just didn't seem like enough.

Anyway, for $90 in steel to make two corners, I'm pretty happy.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no aluminum? you pansy!
corners look great, but i'm more jelly of that suspension, its like i wanna get my whole frame dipped in that stuff.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by awinski
no aluminum? you pansy!
corners look great, but i'm more jelly of that suspension, its like i wanna get my whole frame dipped in that stuff.
Haha. I'm ready to be done with the project and using steel was going to be easier and much cheaper. After picking up my Metalcloak armor, I realized how light it was and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe next winter I'll change some stuff up to make it lighter, but right now I just want to wheel it.

Yeah, I love the cadmium!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Getting so close. Fuel cell arrived yesterday. Exceptional work. I'll make the skid tomorrow and try and get it all hooked up. Then tackle the custom exhaust and run new brake lines. The corner armor is 90% done, so another hour of work and they will be ready to paint. Plan is to at least take it for a spin down the driveway this weekend.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Probably time for an update. I forgot to take pictures of a lot of stuff, but will get them posted this weekend. It is finally on the ground and running. After replumbing the maze of lines and wires for the fuel system, I was shocked that it started right up and didn't even throw a code. Huge thanks to Ringer for the schematic to make it happen.

- Armor is almost done. A few more cuts tonight and then on to paint.
- Brakes and lines temp installed. Have to make some modifications.
- Front driveshaft in. Turned out the rear had the wrong axle side flange, so waiting on the new flange which comes today.
- Hydro assist is done and working.
- Built the skid/mount for the fuel cell. Turned out great.
- Built a new evap skid (stocker was way too big) and found a perfect place to mount it where it can't be harmed.
- Picked up a VKS prerunner front bumper and just finished painting. Will get that on tonight.
- Exhaust is almost done. Have to pull it one more time for finish welding. I ended going with a true dual. I think I can find a way to put an H in, but that will probably be this winter. Used flowmaster HP-2 mufflers. Nice tight little package and surprisingly quiet.
- Have some body sheet metal to cut yet and then the finish fab on all that.
- Went to shift into first and discovered that because I raised the trans, the shifter is further forward and hits the plastic where the boot attaches. Popped the plastic for now, but will bend the shifter a little to make it fit.

Getting close!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Looks great, you might want to add some tube to the top of the corners for some extra strength and protection. My roll screwed up my upper tub above the armor.

Looks like splines on the driveshaft might be close to cull compression, did you cycle the suspension with the shafts on?

Last edited by TheDirtman; 07-16-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...