Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited Build (Ending at the Rubicon Trail!)

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wgoode77
Well, a very large box came for me yesterday...Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers! That is some thick aluminum!!! And the welds are ridiculous (I thought the welds on the bumper looked good...even better in aluminum). The last pick is a small sheet of 22 gauge steel. I'll be cutting it down to size to paint and mount behind the spyder on the front bumper. The rig will have accents of orange, of which will be the orange spyder on the front bumper and others. Don't worry, it will be minimal and I'll keep it classy.

Next I'm off to FastSigns for some customer orange vinyl work. It looks sick in my head...can wait to see how it looks on the rig. Guess that's why I'm doing it vinyl...if I don't like, just peel it off. It'll really come together once the lift, rear bumper and tires are installed.

Attachment 522007Attachment 522006Attachment 522008Attachment 522009Attachment 522010
The quality of poison spyder is quite impressive. I have their tube sliders and they're some of the best I've seen. Why'd you decide on aluminum over their steel version?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanb33

The quality of poison spyder is quite impressive. I have their tube sliders and they're some of the best I've seen. Why'd you decide on aluminum over their steel version?

Thanks,
Sean
I wanted to save on the weight. I initially had a concern with the rigidity of aluminum over steel but my local shop said the aluminum were quite strong and I won't have any issues. I welcome your (and anyone else's) input if you think steel should be the way I go. This will NOT be a mall crawler and I want them to be quite functional.

I guess if the feed back is "go steel", I'll have to see how Northridge would treat the exchange. ???
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wgoode77
I wanted to save on the weight. I initially had a concern with the rigidity of aluminum over steel but my local shop said the aluminum were quite strong and I won't have any issues. I welcome your (and anyone else's) input if you think steel should be the way I go. This will NOT be a mall crawler and I want them to be quite functional.

I guess if the feed back is "go steel", I'll have to see how Northridge would treat the exchange. ???
I was in the same boat as you, I think aluminum is a good way to save weight and prevent rust as well but my decision was made easier since they don't make the tube sliders in aluminum. Good luck, either way they'll look and perform great

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Seanb33

I was in the same boat as you, I think aluminum is a good way to save weight and prevent rust as well but my decision was made easier since they don't make the tube sliders in aluminum. Good luck, either way they'll look and perform great

Thanks,
Sean
I just spoke to the guys at Poison Spyder...they recommended steel for my application.

I can't believe I missed that vital piece in my research. I learned my lesson...research what you told!!!

Given the $100 or so in shipping charges associate with the exchange...anybody interested in a set of Aluminum Brawler Rockers (New in the box). Probably need to be local as I will not be looking to pay for shipping. They go for $970, but I got a slight discount...just looking to break even. I'll let them go for $875
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

I so could have saved you all that time and consideration... Aluminum is a soft metal compared to steel and if your really gonna use them, steel is the only way to go!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DirtTroll
I so could have saved you all that time and consideration... Aluminum is a soft metal compared to steel and if your really gonna use them, steel is the only way to go!
Steel are in transit and supposed to arrive today. You know, I can say I learned my lesson...don't just go with one persons recommendation (even if he owns a 4x4 fabrication shop)...seek wise counsel!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Well my steel rails came in on Thursday and I dropped them off along with my bumper at Crosslink Powder Coating. They'll be powder coated a flat black and their providing me a can of touch up paint as well. I see this as the best of both worlds...ruggedness of powder coating with the ability to touch up if needed. Can't wait to get them back and installed. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by wgoode77; 01-11-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Here is someone looking for rockers.

Originally Posted by Sirtreysif
If anyone has a set of 4door rubi rails shoot me a PM with a price shipped to 24293. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

A friend came over last week and we tackled the front bumper. A couple guys, a bumper, a winch, and a few wrenches...

Inventory...

Poison Spyder Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar - CHECK
Poison Spyder Fairlead Mount - CHECK
Poison Spyder Fairlead Hawse - CHECK
Warn VR10000s - CHECK
Spydura Synthetic Winch Line - CHECK
Factor55 Prolink Shackle - CHECK

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper Inventory.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	525023

Strip her down for new and improved...

Name:	Bumper Naked.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	525024

Night comes and she's installed and all ready to go...a cake walk (with help from Jon!)

Name:	Brawler Lite - Lights On.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	525025

The next day with some decent lighting

Name:	Brawler Lite_L.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	525026
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Brawler Rocker Install

Hung out with the guys at Tribe4x4 for a couple hours yesterday. They rocked out my Brawler Rockers with ease. They definitely know what there doing and showed those nutserts who's boss! Thanks Tribe for making this such a painless experience (and loading my winch properly, lol).

I had seriously considered installing these with a buddy but when you factor in the cost of the appropriate nutsert tool and the clamps to hold it in place, you have to also consider letting someone handle it that has done it before. After reading a lot on the forums about how you could hollow out the sheet metal in a split second, how important lining up the holes is and that a 1/16 of an inch could make the whole install go south, how easily the nutsert could strip rendering them useless, etc, etc, etc., decided to leave this up to the professionals...Tribe4x4. To make things even better, they were very easy on my wallet!!! Thanks Adam and David...you guys are solid in my book.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon Unlimited Build (Ending at the Rubicon Trail!)