Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 01-23-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
I'm sorry my project is annoying, that's not my goal.

If there's a company interested in licensing the design so they can put it in production, I'll be happy to discuss it with them, but I really don't think there's enough demand for a hardtop like this or for the separate barn door to make it worth a company going through the expense and effort to produce them. I have been discussing it with one company that's interested, but I don't know it anything will come of that discussion. And even if a company does decide they want to take this on, I don't know if I want to do it - usually it's a lot more work for me than just turning over my prototype molds to a company - almost always I have to be involved and help them get from prototype to production.

I don't have any plans to sell the prototype, sorry. In all my projects, I've only sold one prototype and that was after a company started manufacturing it and they gave me a production model so I no longer had a need for the prototype. In most cases I keep the prototype and put it to use, because the main reason I build these projects is for my own use.

You didn't say so I have to ask - what specifically is it you want? The barn door for use with a factory hardtop, or the complete Safari Cab hardtop?
I would buy the safari cab today if it were available.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try shopping the factory wheels in white with the various shades of khaki. This should give a vintage 50's/60's appearance.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Try shopping the factory wheels in white with the various shades of khaki. This should give a vintage 50's/60's appearance.
Changing the wheels isn't in the plan for now, but maybe when I build the new FSJ front clip for it I'll decide a set of steelies is in order...

Old 01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Another possibility.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, let me say that you are a very talented and skilled designer who is able to take an idea and turn into a finished product. The level of craftsmanship shown in this thing blows me away!

Having purchased a 2-dr '09 soft top JK back in July, my wife and I have immediately wanted to get a hard top. However, I love the modularity of the soft top. Thus, we've looked at some hybrid tops like the Trektop Pro, which we really like, but it's still a soft shell and many have said there's no change in cabin noise from the soft top. I've also considered some custom options via molds, sheet metal, etc. in order to develop something unique. My wife and I also really love the Defender series LRs, so when I showed her this, she fell in love and said, "I want it! Buy it now!!" Haha, I, of course, agreed. We only hope that one of the 2 companies you've been in conversations with is willing to pick up the torch and run with it.

If you're still debating between the colors, which is a tough call, I'd personally go one color to match everything. I know you're not going for a Defender look, but the ones I've seen that are one color look so clean! Here are two examples in colors similar to yours. The first one all one color, the other with a black top. Good luck in making your decision as I think it will look good either way and I'm eager to hear/see what happens with the development for taking this awesome modulated hard top to production!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5438558.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	635412Click image for larger version

Name:	landroverdefenderreview6.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	635413
Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LoboMike
First, let me say that you are a very talented and skilled designer who is able to take an idea and turn into a finished product. The level of craftsmanship shown in this thing blows me away!
Thank you very much. I think of myself more of a designer than a builder, but if you want to see your designs realized you have to build things, so I do .

Originally Posted by LoboMike
Having purchased a 2-dr '09 soft top JK back in July, my wife and I have immediately wanted to get a hard top. However, I love the modularity of the soft top. Thus, we've looked at some hybrid tops like the Trektop Pro, which we really like, but it's still a soft shell and many have said there's no change in cabin noise from the soft top. I've also considered some custom options via molds, sheet metal, etc. in order to develop something unique. My wife and I also really love the Defender series LRs, so when I showed her this, she fell in love and said, "I want it! Buy it now!!" Haha, I, of course, agreed. We only hope that one of the 2 companies you've been in conversations with is willing to pick up the torch and run with it.

If you're still debating between the colors, which is a tough call, I'd personally go one color to match everything. I know you're not going for a Defender look, but the ones I've seen that are one color look so clean! Here are two examples in colors similar to yours. The first one all one color, the other with a black top. Good luck in making your decision as I think it will look good either way and I'm eager to hear/see what happens with the development for taking this awesome modulated hard top to production!

Attachment 635412Attachment 635413
Thanks for the Defender photos, they do look good.

I am still debating about colors, I was all set to paint the sides to match the body and do the roof in black, but like I said I saw a few color-matched factory hardtops recently on Jeeps that were the same color as mine, and I didn't like them at all. My LJ is completely color matched (the black one I posted a photo of earlier today), and I love the look of that one, but somehow I don't like the look of a color matched top on the color of my JK.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For your red JKU I'd go red or black

I'm not a fan of mixing colors (at least on vehicles) unless one of the colors is neutral...black or white, or sometimes something metallic like silver or gold. Given you already have black accents (step bars, bumpers, tires, etc) I'd go with black. The image of the red Defender with the black roof top is a very good look. My JKU is white with the black hardtop (and big black roof rack) and if I was to get this roof (would love it) I'd go with either all white or white with a black roof.

I remember you did a concept drawing of a 2-door in all white that was beautiful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	white land rover.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	635467
Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kklasman
I'm not a fan of mixing colors (at least on vehicles) unless one of the colors is neutral...black or white, or sometimes something metallic like silver or gold. Given you already have black accents (step bars, bumpers, tires, etc) I'd go with black. The image of the red Defender with the black roof top is a very good look. My JKU is white with the black hardtop (and big black roof rack) and if I was to get this roof (would love it) I'd go with either all white or white with a black roof.

I remember you did a concept drawing of a 2-door in all white that was beautiful.

Attachment 635467
Thanks for the input. If my JK was white, there's no question I'd do everything in white like the 2dr concept I posted early in the project. And if it were black, I'd do gloss black just like my LJ Safari Cab. But I'm having trouble deciding what to do on the red JK, especially after seeing some JKs the same red color with factory color-matched hardtops recently - they just didn't look right to me. All-black, probably matte/textured like the factory tops, is an option that would work.

I am also thinking about the color for the canvas parts - the roll-up soft sides and the soft barn door. If I do a black roof with color match sides (or an all black hardtop) I'd probably just use black soft top material, but if I paint the top something in the tan/sand/khaki range, I could do the soft parts in a tan. There's a pretty good range of tans in sailcloth soft top fabric, so I should be able to pick something for the soft sides/soft barn door that goes well if I choose to paint the top something in the tan/san/khaki range.

I've posted this illustration before, it shows the roll-up soft sides.

Last edited by jscherb; 01-24-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

JK Safari Cab build phase complete!

One last thing I had to do on the roof panel before declaring it done and ready for paint prep was to finalize the Alpine window openings. I had cut the openings and temporarily installed the windows before the last time I put the top on the Jeep for fitting, but I didn't do the final trimming of the openings or try installing the window gasket lock strip. I've done that now, so I can now declare the build phase of this project is basically complete. I'll do one last fitting of all the parts on the Jeep to ensure everything fits and works to my standards, then the parts will be ready for prep/paint and final safety glass window installation (it still has the temporary plexiglass windows). Here are a few photos of the (dusty) completed top as it sits in my garage right now.

Paint phase to begin whenever I decide what color(s) it should be.

Last edited by jscherb; 01-24-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
JK Safari Cab build phase complete! One last thing I had to do on the roof panel before declaring it done and ready for paint prep was to finalize the Alpine window openings. I had cut the openings and temporarily installed the windows before the last time I put the top on the Jeep for fitting, but I didn't do the final trimming of the openings or try installing the window gasket lock strip. I've done that now, so I can now declare the build phase of this project is basically complete. I'll do one last fitting of all the parts on the Jeep to ensure everything fits and works to my standards, then the parts will be ready for prep/paint and final safety glass window installation (it still has the temporary plexiglass windows). Here are a few photos of the (dusty) completed top as it sits in my garage right now. Paint phase to begin whenever I decide what color(s) it should be.
wow!!!! That sure turned out great!!!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop