Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
A few more concept images I haven't posted here before.

Many of the concepts I've drawn have the Safari Cab painted in body color; here's one in "hardtop black".

Looks great! i would totally buy one if this was in production. Question, besides the oval windows looking cool, what function do those provide? Is it just to let more light in or is it to view tall items like Giraffes on Safaris?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
Looks great! i would totally buy one if this was in production. Question, besides the oval windows looking cool, what function do those provide? Is it just to let more light in or is it to view tall items like Giraffes on Safaris?
If you mean the "Alpine windows" in the roof, they are there for two reasons - to let in more light as you said, and also as a styling element - I happen to think they look cool . The pictures of the scale model show how they wrap around the top of the roof a bit, they're sort of like mini sunroofs.

They way I'm making the roof panel mold, these windows are not required - the holes for them are cut after the roof panel comes out of the mold, so if someone didn't want any, or only wanted one on each side, the roof can be finished off that way. I'll be building the first prototype Safari Cab with 4 Alpine windows just like the model below though, because I like them.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

now I want this top and it doesnt exist

i guess ill have to chop the top off of a land rover disco
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
now I want this top and it doesnt exist

i guess ill have to chop the top off of a land rover disco
Add "yet" to that... "it doesn't exist yet". One (or maybe two) will exist as soon as I make the molds for the roof and complete the prototype(s). After that, we'll have to see if it makes sense for them to become production products.

In the meantime, good luck chopping a disco .
Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Project update: Since I finished playing around with window ideas a week or so ago I've been working on the molds for the Safari Cab roof panel. The roof assembly is made up of a number of components in addition to the main roof panel; so far I've been working on the component molds and since those aren't too exciting too look at I haven't posted any photos. When I get to the main roof panel mold I'll be sure to post some photos.

In addition to the hardtop windows I posted about over the past few weeks, I've been working with several window companies on specs for half-door upper slider windows. Today I got engineering drawings from one of the window companies; I can't post them but I did overlay the drawings on a photo of a JKU with half doors.

Last edited by jscherb; 03-02-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Now this is what I've been waiting for!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Great, now I'll want half doors even more! Awesome idea, it's about time somebody did this
Old 02-26-2015, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been hoping for half-door sliders forever!

Definitely subscribed!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Awesome design!

Beautiful!! I would buy that in a second. Love that look. Barndoor is a great idea. JK 2door look great with safari top addition
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

As I've been working on the roof component molds I've been thinking maybe there's a better way to make a pop-top camper - I've posted some concept drawings showing the roof panel hinged at the front to pop up, but maybe the roof panel should be hinged at the side instead of the front. If it opened to almost 90 degrees, that would provide a lot more interior room than if it were hinged at the front. Here's a rough idea of what it could look like. The canvas would unfold as the roof tilted up, to make this animation simple I just "popped it in" in one frame.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop