Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thumbing through this thread for about a week now and I am infatuated with the idea of overlanding! I just took my 2015 out on my first trail ride, and although it was fun, I find that using my jeep to reach a remote camp site more appealing than simply getting stuck in a muddy pit. I'm now subscribed here, and will eventually get through all the posts, but in an effort to now wait 299 pages, could you tell me if you would pay the extra to have lighter, aluminum bumpers, or would you still get steel? I'm starting a wish lists of things for my rig, and there is still so much I need to learn.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShawnMac86
, could you tell me if you would pay the extra to have lighter, aluminum bumpers, or would you still get steel? I'm starting a wish lists of things for my rig, and there is still so much I need to learn.
I think many will tell you that if you have the extra coin to go aluminum but I personally like my steel. Sure you will save a bit in gas with the aluminum but I am not sure exactly how much plus I have not been that remote. Don't get me wrong, I go where I need extra gas cans but I don't see the weight savings being enough to help me there.
Welcome to an addiction within an addiction.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thumbing through this thread for about a week now and I am infatuated with the idea of overlanding! I just took my 2015 out on my first trail ride, and although it was fun, I find that using my jeep to reach a remote camp site more appealing than simply getting stuck in a muddy pit. I'm now subscribed here, and will eventually get through all the posts, but in an effort to now wait 299 pages, could you tell me if you would pay the extra to have lighter, aluminum bumpers, or would you still get steel? I'm starting a wish lists of things for my rig, and there is still so much I need to learn.
I'd suggest wandering over to Expedition Portal and taking a look around.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRGeep
I'm definitely interested in this. I don't have a Gobi rack, I've got a KargoMaster rack, but I've been looking for a limb riser kit that attaches to the rack itself. I'm hoping to be able to retrofit it to mine.
We can make a limb riser kit to work with your setup - feel free to PM or call and we can discuss

Direct Line 774-826-9948
Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yowee, that's a lot of weight for running off road.
It was the first run with the rack to see if the top and the rack could handle the weight, which it did no problem. I usually only carry around 150-200 if that.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

I've been thumbing through this thread for about a week now and I am infatuated with the idea of overlanding! I just took my 2015 out on my first trail ride, and although it was fun, I find that using my jeep to reach a remote camp site more appealing than simply getting stuck in a muddy pit.
Ditto! I'm more of a "let's see where this trail goes" and pouring over Google Maps/Backroads Map books looking for interesting trails/viewpoints/lakes/campsites kinda guy.

I'm now subscribed here, and will eventually get through all the posts, but in an effort to now wait 299 pages, could you tell me if you would pay the extra to have lighter, aluminum bumpers, or would you still get steel? I'm starting a wish lists of things for my rig, and there is still so much I need to learn.
I'm planning on aluminum. Steel is definitely stronger, but again I don't seek out rocks to smack against. Aluminum can take a few knocks without issues, and it is significantly lighter that steel (though be sure to actually check the weights; some bumpers seem to have a lot of additional reinforcing/supports that bring them close to the weight of an equivalent steel bumper). JKs don't have a lot of room before it hits its GVWR, so when you are planning for longer distances, you need to save weight where you can for fuel efficiency and additional camping gear.

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I'd suggest wandering over to Expedition Portal and taking a look around.
I agree with this suggestion; that's a great resource as well.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off... change your page settings to have more posts per page - I only have 113 pages

I think it depends. If I could get the exact bumper I wanted in either steel or aluminum... then I might consider aluminum. But I'd pick the exact bumper I wanted over trying to save weight. I'd also question the durability in regards to how it would handle punishment. Not that I play in the rocks... but yeah. And while I know that every little bit helps - both the mileage and wheeling, I honestly don't care enough to really try and save weight. But the fuel benefits are likely fairly minimal unless you're putting on tons of miles. I also don't like the idea that you can gouge the aluminum. But ultimately I think it really just comes down to personal preference.

And I agree with the Expo suggestion... I spend a lot of time there. However, many (the majority?) of the rigs there are still setup more for wheeling than exploring/trips - mine included.

Last edited by Septu; 11-25-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
First off... change your page settings to have more posts per page - I only have 113 pages
What... I didn't know that was a thing

Edit: Totally cool! 40 posts per page now. Thanks!

Last edited by Vladimer; 11-25-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Septu
I use the JK forum iPad app. Is that setting just for the website?
Edit: I just found it; I probably should have looked first, haha.

Last edited by ShawnMac86; 11-27-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans07JK
Here you go, I can get better ones in needed. I bought the can holder and did some fab work on them so they would fit with the tire carrier. I am really happy with the way they turned out.
Attachment 585342Attachment 585343

That is a really sweet rig man! The custom rack looks great. I think it looks better than most of the ones you can buy out there.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!