Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

After making the mistake of ordering my 2012 with a 6 speed, finally got me an auto

Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After making the mistake of ordering my 2012 with a 6 speed, finally got me an auto

Last May I decided to order a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited in Gecko Green. After having a 2003 Rubicon with a stick shift I ordered my new 2012 with a 6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear and hard top. Those were the only three options I went with.

My dad works for Chrysler at the Toledo Jeep Plant, Some strings were pulled and I watched my Jeep get assembled, I also got to drive it off the assembly line. I rocked out the 2012 since May, few months in I decided the manual trans was a big mistake and I was getting thoroughly annoyed with it. I also hated the fact I didn't have the connectivity group along with heated seats and NAV. I went back to the dealership I ordered it from just to see if swapping it was doable. I left there with my tail between my legs when I was offered almost $4000.00 less than what I owe. So I drove it up until a few weeks ago when my buddy that works at a GM dealer told me he could get me into a 2013 and get the right trade for my 2012. I figured I didn't have much to lose so I drove down to the GM dealer. My buddy snapped a few pics and sent them off to his guy at a Jeep dealer on the other side of the state. The guy came back with a trade offer of more than I owe. He also found the EXACT Jeep I wanted with all the bells and whistles I should have got the first time.

Today I will be picking up my 2013 Sahara Unlimited in Gecko Green, Heated Seats, NAV, Auto trans, Connectivity group, Hard top, auto climate control, remote start, Limited slip.

I had my 2012 Leveled and tinted, I took the kit off and will be installing it on the 2013 right away. I contacted my guy at the local tire place, he is going to give me $500-600 towards some Good year Dura Track 33's when I bring him my zero mile Bridgestones.

I will also be adding my quadratec floor liners and will be ordering a lock pick ASAP.

Here is my 2012, the 6 speed will NOT be missed lol.

Here she was pulling out of the factory at Toledo North Assembly Plant.

Pics of the 13 leveled, tinted, and with 33's soon to follow.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Congrats with the new one!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Manual driver down the drain

I'm sorry to hear that you were taken by the automatic monster. I started driving in 97 got a manual in 99 and have never looked back. I also ride sport bikes so I'm used to shifting. Honestly I get bored when I drive my company vehicle and thats an auto. Even in heavy traffic I'm ok with manual. I live in costal carolina and we are all flat here for the most part.

One thing I'v noticed about our jeeps they dont roll back on inclines when you press the clutch in.
I have a 2012 Mazda 6 and if you press the clutch in on a hill at a light it will roll.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Congrats...sounds like you and will have twins when done. Mine is also a 13, Gecko Sahara Unlimited, 33" Duratracs, with Teraflex leveling kit.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'm sorry to hear that you were taken by the automatic monster. I started driving in 97 got a manual in 99 and have never looked back. I also ride sport bikes so I'm used to shifting. Honestly I get bored when I drive my company vehicle and thats an auto. Even in heavy traffic I'm ok with manual. I live in costal carolina and we are all flat here for the most part.

One thing I'v noticed about our jeeps they dont roll back on inclines when you press the clutch in.
I have a 2012 Mazda 6 and if you press the clutch in on a hill at a light it will roll.
Try if for another 20 years and see how you feel
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

My last Rubicon was a 5 speed. It was fun. The amount of driving I do for work the manual was getting really old really fast.

I'll leave rowing the gears to my fun car.

And here she is getting delivered tonight
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
Congrats...sounds like you and will have twins when done. Mine is also a 13, Gecko Sahara Unlimited, 33" Duratracs, with Teraflex leveling kit.
Pics!? Would love to see
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I've been driving a manual for 31 years, and wouldn't have a Jeep without one. Besides being fun, I'm from Tennessee, we have a lot more mud than rock, so the manual works better. Also, I've never had a problem with a manual tranny. My Pathfinder has 235,000 in it, and I've never even had to replace the clutch. The manuals will work at any angle, and as long as they get a splash of oil now and then, they will keep going.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Real Jeeps have stick shifts. You might as well lower it, get some 22" rims and spinners and a pack of pink panties at Walmart now.

Last edited by Chango; 01-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

That 6 speed was a notchy whiney loud piece of crap.

It was annoying to drive everyday.

Quick Reply: After making the mistake of ordering my 2012 with a 6 speed, finally got me an auto