Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Black Box

Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Box

Maybe I am just not reading all the latest news about what's going on with newer vehicles but I didn't know that almost all the new autos (JEEP Wrangler 07 included) have a black box (EDR- Event Data Recorder) . I saw this on one of the morning shows and then looked up an article about it. Did most of you out there know about this? It has some real implications when it comes to liability and insurance.
Black Box Story
http://www.wesh.com/news/14573515/detail.html

Current Automobiles using EDR's
http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 11-25-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeper4x4 - yeah saw something about it in the Owners Manual. Here's an excerpt about the "legal" part:
In the event that an investigation is undertaken by DaimlerChrysler Corporation (regardless of initiative), the company or its designated representative will first obtain permission of the appropriate custodial entity for the vehicle (usually the vehicle owner or lessee) before accessing the electronic data stored, unless ordered to download data by a court with legal jurisdiction (i.e., pursuant to a warrant).
Old 11-25-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Police use them to assist in accident investigation. It helps determine if the vehicle was braking, speed, was ABS working etc. Normally it is only used in the most serious accidents.

They were originally installed to help vehicle manufactures develop better air bag systems.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't know how I feel about this one. I see how it could help in some instances, but overall it feels like Big Brother watching.

So if I could take this a couple steps further into the future, will we be getting speeding tickets issued to us by our friendly onboard computers who are linked up to law enforcement?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I worked a fatal car wreck at work one night. A guy drive a luxury car hit someone and his vechile had a black box. From what I understand that the accident investigtor can hook it to his lap top and get all that vital info. He told me that most of the time they only mess with the box if there is a faltilty involved.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kidjeep
Don't know how I feel about this one. I see how it could help in some instances, but overall it feels like Big Brother watching.

So if I could take this a couple steps further into the future, will we be getting speeding tickets issued to us by our friendly onboard computers who are linked up to law enforcement?
I don't think it will ever get tot he point where tickets can be issued because your box says you were speeding. I know that some of the local communites around me have installed the stop light camera's, and the supreme court decided after the fact that you can not issue a ticket to something a police officer did not physically witness. Based on this, if a cop doesn't see you speeding, all he can do is warn you.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Can I kill it?

1-Does anyone know how to disable the ERD?
2-Does anyone know if it is illegal to disable?

I am older now w/kids so speeding is pretty much a thing of the past, but hate the idea of the ERD. As my tax professor used to say 'the only thing preventing the government from taxing you in your leisure time is technology'. I am not saying this will lead to more taxes (though, I'd bet some freaky libs would love to create a 'heavy driving foot' tax to get those that waste gas by throttling hard), but rather the government will always look for excuses and opportunities to watch your every step.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

I think it's good that all cars do have these. It looks like they only have a 5 second memory, so they're probably only useful during an accident while your car was in motion. I've been dealing with a car accident from earlier this summer, where a lady who was rear ended got rear ended by me.

There was no fatality, but the idiot who caused all this is playing dumb. Now I gotta go through the headaches and somehow clear myself. It'd be a lot easier if he took the blame.

This thing will help end all he-said-she-said crap. Look at that news article. Some guy going 114mph in a 30 zone killed two girls. At first he claimed 50mph (20 over, but doesn't seem bad... could be one of those neighborhoods where the speed should be higher) and you probably thought it was some idiot driver backing out without looking. Suddenly, you realize he's going 85mph over the speed limit. Makes a difference.

I dont see the bad in having a black box is yet. It doesn't appear to be something that can harm us. If we follow the laws, it shouldn't be a problem anyways! Sure, we all go over the speed limit, but if you're doing 80 over, in a residential area... I mean, come-on, you should be jailed!

Plus, who knows, it may clear you of being guilty of an accident! Or, god forbid, if somebody gets hurt in an accident, it may bring justice to the person who caused it.

In my opinion, it's a great idea, that puts responsibility on your shoulders. And responsibility is something you NEED to have on the road.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I don't think it will ever get tot he point where tickets can be issued because your box says you were speeding. I know that some of the local communites around me have installed the stop light camera's, and the supreme court decided after the fact that you can not issue a ticket to something a police officer did not physically witness. Based on this, if a cop doesn't see you speeding, all he can do is warn you.

Tell me more.....I despise the cameras thing.....Is this a federal court or state court and which state ( IOWA )????????
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I knew about it. If you are not driving like an idiot it does not matter. It records such things as speed, steering angle, seat belts worn, head lights on etc. If you disable this it might have an impact on your warranty and on your air bag system.

Quick Reply: Black Box