Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cold Weather = Jk not staying in gear.?.?.?.?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather = Jk not staying in gear.?.?.?.?

Ok
So today we finally got hit with old man winter in Southern Alberta. We have had one other cold day but today it was down to -20. It seems that when ever it is cold outside my sahara does not stay in 2 and 4th gear. I will shift, release the clutch and the it just pops out. Needles to say this is not fun on cold winter roads.

I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else or has anyone got it fixed and knows what can be done. I will be taking it in to the dealership asap but would like to be able to tell them more that it just is not staying in gear when it is cold out side
Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine dont like shifting from 1st to 2nd in the cold before it warms up, it "jumps" into it... sorta annoying
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

It happens to me as well, although rarely. Shifting definately takes more effort untill it warms up. I haven't had my JK in those temperatures yet though. Maybe half that cold. I think making sure you shift firmly helps a bit.

It's supposed to get that cold this weekend, I shall see what happens then.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine too....you have to be very deliberate about shifting when it's cold. It goes all the way into gear sloooooowly....don't hurry, and it won't pop out.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It has been in the 20-30's in Maine and I had that problem in my two door when it was colder than that last season. I just take my time shifting into second... slow, gentle but firm, and deliberate until it gets warmed up.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought it was just me.

My standard transmission is really stiff and difficult to shift in the cold weather, but seems to improve as it warms up. Sometimes I really have to slam it into first or second gear, and it feels very rough (opposite of smooth, which is how it normally feels warm, but I couldn't come up with a better adjective than "rough.")

As long as it warms up and gets easier, I'm not worried about it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that sometimes happens with body lifts as well.
With a body lift, the shifter does not have full range of motion.
Without a body lift and it's cold, the shifter occasionally does have shifting probs.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Mine tends to randomly pop from 5th to reverse. It makes a horrible grinding noise and will scare the crap out of you. I hope it never catches that gear, but it sounds like crap. It seems that whatever shift block should be there is now gone.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GotDesl
Mine tends to randomly pop from 5th to reverse. It makes a horrible grinding noise and will scare the crap out of you. I hope it never catches that gear, but it sounds like crap. It seems that whatever shift block should be there is now gone.
Sounds like something you should have the dealer look at right away.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the world can it pop from 5th to reverse? You really have to push it to the right to go into reverse. I'm not calling you crazy but if that is really happening you have some serious issue of some kind. GREMLINS

Quick Reply: Cold Weather = Jk not staying in gear.?.?.?.?