Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Convince me!!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me!!

I've been on the fence about a '13 Wrangler Unlimited...after extensive research and several test drives plus trolling the forums for months I still need help. I currently have a '12 F150 FX2 that I love except for the fact it is a 2wd...not that I need a 4wd but it's better to have and not need than need and not have...my problem is in the giving up of the truck bed and the towing capacity. I don't really tow anything but have plans in the future to buy a pontoon boat which I know the Wrangler won't tow. I do have an Expedition that will..FYI. I've wrestled with the thought of a trailer to tow any small loads but then have the issue of where to store it and the inconvenience of picking it up when I need it if I can't find a way to store it at home. After looking at Wranglers and the forums..plus friends that have them I seem to have fallen for the Jeep lifestyle and since we love to hit the beach as often as possible plus like camping as well it seems like the perfect vehicle for us. Taking the top off along with the doors and throwing our gear in the back to head off to make memories our kids won't ever forget. If anyone can give any insight into the FX2 vs. Wrangler Unlimited please do..I need help!!!

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was a truck guy for the longest. I had a 2WD truck - traded for a 4x4 six months after getting it. Both were new, loved my trucks - wanted the 4x4 because of the "what if" I needed it factor. When the gas prices shot up I decided I needed to get something smaller than a HEMI that was killing me on gas. I wanted the truck for the occasional ability to haul stuff in the bed. When looking back on it - I should have gone with the Jeep sooner in my opinion because I liked the truck but never really had a true "need" for the truck. I am on my second JK - the first being a used 2007 JKU Sahara. I just traded it in for a 2013 JKUR with all the bells and whistles and am very happy. I think an assessment of what your true needs are for a vehicle vs convincing need to be looked at. I am happy with my choices on the JKs but it works with my family's lifestyle and I've been very pleased overall with my Jeeps. I also have an FJ40 but I like having an updated vehicle to take out for longer trips. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck on your decision - and feel free to PM if you have any particular questions.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think there's any comparison between a F150 and a Wrangler, and what it really comes down to is your wants/needs...and how much you're willing to spend/lose on the transaction since it sounds like your F150 is pretty much new.

Some points to consider:

You don't have a Pontoon boat yet, and you still have another vehicle that can tow a boat if you ever get one (Ford Expedition).

Rent a trailer when you need one. U-haul rents them for like $20/day. Much less than paying to store a trailer, and probably cheaper than the annual registration/tabs on a trailer itself if you only need a utility trailer a few times per year.

I'll get flamed for saying this, but I don't believe there's a "Jeep Lifestyle". Your lifestyle is what it is, before and after the vehicle you drive. Just because you don't own a Jeep doesn't mean you can't have topless fun in the fun or go camping, hiking, fishing, or wheeling. A Jeep isn't necessarily a requisite item there, but it is darn useful.

Your kids will likely perceive you to be much cooler (maybe more than you actually are in reality--I don't know) in a Jeep versus a pickup truck, although again, a Jeep isn't a prerequisite to having good memories and doing recreational activities with your children. -but it is darn helpful.

Not to trash on your pickup, but there is no such thing as a 2wd pickup truck. There are 4x4 trucks and there are large, 2wd cars that look like trucks

FYI, I owned a 4x4 4-door pickup a few years before I bought my Jeep.

I miss absolutely nothing about the way it drove or how parking was usually a scientific operation.

But, I will be renting a utility trailer this weekend....

Last edited by jk_sea; 05-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Love my Jeep and do not miss my truck at all - Jeep is much more fun for the trails, top down, doors off, etc. I do own a trailer though, so that helps if I need to haul anything.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

You could sell your truck and buy a old tj or older jeep and buy a lightly used truck
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CDR23
Thanks for the responses...
So didja get one yet?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting, I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a 2011 FX4, and I REALLY like the truck. But, I'm thinking it is time for another 4-door Jeep as the interiors are so much nicer now than when I had one in 2007. I went and test drove a Rubicon and a Moab a couple weeks ago, and I have to say they felt tiny inside compared to my truck. I was really surprised how used to the size of the F150 I've gotten. So far I haven't pulled the trigger as I haven't found that Jeep I just have to have. So, for me losing the massive interior is a downside, but the better gas mileage and ease of parking are a big upside, let alone, dude, its a Jeep.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

I've got a cheap fold up 4x8 trailer that is a great substitute for a truck bed. It takes up very little space in the garage. My Jeep lifestyle consists of wheeling it and commuting to work with the top and doors off on nice days. I haven't been camping in years and you can't drive on the beach here, so any car is as good as a Jeep to go to the beach. Most people buy Wranglers for the image. There is a small percentage that actually use them to go places that a passenger car wouldn't go.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't think that using the term Jeep Lifestyle would bother some people.. I really just like the capability and history of them along with the versatility and comradery of the owners. It seems like a fun vehicle to drive and a cool culture to be part of...I've always had trucks and SUVs with an occasional car tossed in along the way but never a rig with such a true following. Maybe saying convince me wasn't the right choice of words...thanks again for the responses...hopefully more to come

Quick Reply: Convince me!!