Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!

So it's approaching a year that I've had my purty hydro blue Altitude edition Sahara. Don't get me wrong, I love it! Love love love it...But...I want lockers and should've gotten the Rubi in the first place. I also don't want my D30 :( Here's the hard spot, I've already modded my Jeep to where I think it looks great and for me, in South Florida, it's capable at everything I throw at it. I've yet to be in a situation that I truly "needed" lockers or anything. But, like anything, I'm thinking of the future and trying to just plan correctly. I didn't know I'd get bitten by the bug so quickly.

Now, I've got my Atlas rear bumper/tire carrier, 18" Black Rhino wheels with 35 Trail Grapplers, Smitty stinger front stubby, 9500 winch, grabars, rock rails, 3.5 RE lift, Best top NX, Bushwacker fenders, and ARB compressor. So I've got a couple of bucks into the Jeep already. I highly doubt if I do go through with getting a Rubi, the dealer will be like, "Sure, take a day and swap parts". A buddy said he traded his 14 Hydro Blue Sahara for a 15 rubi, kept the same payment AND the dealer gave him $5k...So I could get most of my stuff back. Just not sure if it's worth it.

My other option is to either get a new D44 built or regear F/R, toss an ARB in the rear, and truss the front.

Talk some sense into me!

Again, nothing extreme here in South Florida...But for that "What if" day I decide to take a trek to a place with mountains, heck, even a landfill!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You love your Jeep. It's extremely capable and probably even over engineered for South Florida. Keep it and continue to love it.

" A buddy said he traded his 14 Hydro Blue Sahara for a 15 rubi, kept the same payment AND the dealer gave him $5k"

Dealerships aren't in the business to lose money. They may have given him $5k but I guarantee they will make it back in multiples.

I go through this a lot when I think of trading in my Jeep. I always come back to the fact that no matter what the monthly might be, I'm going to be out another $20k to get what I want. When you look at real dollars, does it really make sense? Don't fall into the "keep my monthly the same" trap. You'll lose every time.

I'd beef up the D30, add lockers, sit back and admire the Jeep you built to your spec.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BillyJack
You love your Jeep. It's extremely capable and probably even over engineered for South Florida. Keep it and continue to love it.

" A buddy said he traded his 14 Hydro Blue Sahara for a 15 rubi, kept the same payment AND the dealer gave him $5k"

Dealerships aren't in the business to lose money. They may have given him $5k but I guarantee they will make it back in multiples.

I go through this a lot when I think of trading in my Jeep. I always come back to the fact that no matter what the monthly might be, I'm going to be out another $20k to get what I want. When you look at real dollars, does it really make sense? Don't fall into the "keep my monthly the same" trap. You'll lose every time.

I'd beef up the D30, add lockers, sit back and admire the Jeep you built to your spec.

Solid advice....Again, it's just a thought! I reached out to the shop where I got my quote from for the regear and locker install...I think I'll add some strength to the D30 as well. Should be good enough to poke around in the trails down here.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Personally I would find a takeoff D44 front axle and then regear and add a locker to your current axle. I wouldn't waste money on putting a locker in a d30.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Personally I would find a takeoff D44 front axle and then regear and add a locker to your current axle. I wouldn't waste money on putting a locker in a d30.
Oh and this will be cheaper then overspending alot for a rubi.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I'm hunting for one...I've seen some folks on eBay who toss them together with whichever gears you want. The locker was going to go into the rear since again, I'm not sure how many rocks I'd see. I'm heading out on vacation for a week or so overseas in August -- may be the perfect time to drop it off and transform it!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Money lost in trade deals is wasted mod money.

If and when the turnaround point of your trips consistently becomes the point at which you need lockers to overcome an obstacle, then go do what you need to do. Until then, save cash.

A lot of guys running Rubicons end up ditching most of the stock Rubi hardware anyhow. If you get real extreme, there might be more sense in sticking with what you've got and building to a higher spec.

P.S. Why would you wheel a landfill? I'll bet it smells like ass.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"P.S. Why would you wheel a landfill? I'll bet it smells like ass."

Depends on which side your on and which way the wind is blowing. More of a concern is all the bird crap as they love to circle the places.

In South Florida, Landfill = South Florida Mountain
Old 07-17-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In all honesty what type of wheeling dose one do in Florida that one would need everything that comes with the Rubicon?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
In all honesty what type of wheeling dose one do in Florida that one would need everything that comes with the Rubicon?
That would need anything on a Rubicon I'm assuming is what you meant. Lol

Quick Reply: Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!