Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Jeep.... Not sure what I should do! Help!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Jeep.... Not sure what I should do! Help!

So I'm about to buy my first jeep, I've had a truck and loved it but with the lift and tires the gas mileage was killing me. I am not sure about what to do with regards to getting a jeep.. I know I want a 4 door, but I don't have the $ to drop on a rubicon, unfortunately. Advice and ideas on what I should do is much appreciated! I know I'm going to get a Jk with a manual transmission, but that's about all I know at this point. This thread isn't meant to be overly specific I would just like to hear some ideas about what I should do from people with experience! Thanks a lot!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say give us a little more info. What will it be used for, what would your plans be, and what not. This will help people chime in. If i were you I would get what you want, if you don't have money right now maybe save a little, its easier to do it right the first time instead of regretting the decision later.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like money is an issue. It is for a lot of us. My advice is buy used, very little acceories, build slowly as you can afford it and enjoy the experience.

Ol' Bob
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

It will be used for trail riding and stuff like that, no hard core wheelin (at least not yet). I will also use it as a daily driver for probably 2-3 years. As far as the lockers go, I wouldn't mind adding them on at a later point but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on it right now when I'm not Likely to use it anytime soon.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Bob, yes I was planning on it being a slow build that's why I was planning on buying a new jeep so that I can have it last through out the build process. And that's where not having the $ for a rubi comes in, I don't have $45000 to drop on one haha
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If fuel economy is truly a serious issue, a jeep is not going to solve your problem. Throw a lift and some bigger tires and expect to get 12-17 mpg. If a budget is tight, a jeep will wreck that as well. A new jeep should be way out of the question if you worry about gas prices.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Cool. Find a nice two year old low mileage jku sport that someone has to dump. Be patient. You'll find a deal. if I see anything that looks good I will post a link here. Not to be rude...but...What is your price range?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If fuel economy is truly a serious issue, a jeep is not going to solve your problem. Throw a lift and some bigger tires and expect to get 12-17 mpg. If a budget is tight, a jeep will wreck that as well. A new jeep should be way out of the question if you worry about gas prices.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He's right ya know.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because you don't want to buy a Rubicon does not mean that money is an issue. I could have bought a Rubi but I wanted to build my Jeep from the base sport. If your planning on going 37"+ tires and going big whats the point of buying a Rubicon? Im sorry a 4to1 T case is not what everyone wants in their Jeep. Your just going to get Locking D 60's for the front and rear. Or maybe you just want to lock the rear with air. I like the sport for the reason you can make it your own and still be under the price of a Rubicon. If I would have bought a Rubicon I don't think my wife would have let me drop 5k cash on it. She would have told me "It's a Rubicon we spent 34k instead of 26k why do you need to MOD it?"
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'm getting about 8mpg in my truck. 12-17 would be wonderful, I'm graduating high school and my graduation present is a jeep and my dad is buying it for me so that's why I'm not asking for a rubicon. So money isn't tight in that aspect, but the additions are going to be done by me, that's where the $ gets tight.

Quick Reply: First Jeep.... Not sure what I should do! Help!