Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fix for water sound yet?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for water sound yet?

Anyone been able to fix this yet? My 13 just started doing it at 400 miles. Annoying...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever we experience that kind of thing on things that I work on we take a special tool and draw a vaccum on the coolant system to get out trapped air.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MSmitty
Anyone been able to fix this yet? My 13 just started doing it at 400 miles. Annoying...

Also have the same issue, been reading to "burp" the coolant to fix it? Not sure how to do this.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

I had this issue on one of my former vehicles. I can't remember where I learned the trick but you wait till your engine is cool, drive the front two wheels up on ramps or higher ground so the front is up higher than rear wheels. Open radiator cap and let idle with cap off for 10 minutes or so. This is supposed to allow any trapped air in the system to be gurgled out. You want it to be warm enough the thermostat opens so check the upper hose that it's warm from antifreeze flowing. Worked for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MSmitty

My 2013 did the same. Sloppy factory workers.. I burped my radiator at home. Problem solved.

I should add that I took it to the dealer first, and they said nothing was wrong with the Jeep, and they did no such thing as burping new cars.....!
This was Tuttle Click in Tustin. No need to say I will never go there again.

How to:
1. I took a plastic bottle I had home (bought at Home depot), and cut off the bottom.
The tip of the bottle was able to make a snug (watertight) seal to the opening of the radiator (lid off) if I held it in place.

2. I filled the bottle (after putting it upside down on the opened radiator) from the bottom with water.

3. Had my niece start the car, and run it at 1500-2500 rpm until it warmed up (I had to hold the bottle in place...)

4. When the thermostat opens, the water will circulate and the trapped air bubbles up in the plastic bottle with no bottom...

5. Remember to have the heater on inside the car, so the water circulate through the heater system... Give it some RPM's, and squeeze the hoses.

I had to do this twice, and never heard any water wound/sloshing since...

You might not have to use a bottle. I just used it to make sure no air was being sucked in through the radiator opening.

I did not worry about adding water instead of coolant, since I live in SoCal. All new Jeeps coming off the factory lot have enough coolant to work fine in REALLY COLD climates....

IF YOU WANT TO ADD COOLANT TO A 2013, USE THE ORGANIC COOLANT, MARKED OAT. NO OTHER COOLANT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THIS COOLANT
They changed the coolant for this year, and not even the coolant for the 2012 is compatible. Some dealerships still don't know, and they will fill WRONG coolant on your JK if you don't tell them...... Just a heads up...

Last edited by GoRemote; 12-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need to add.... If you don't use a bottle, have some water or coolant available to refill when the air comes out.
I added almost a litre (a quart gallon) as the air came out.

I parked the Jeep so the front was a little higher than the back, to make sure all air came to the radiator more easily... Don't know if that was necessary..

Total coolant capasity is 14 quarts/13.3 litres, so there was a lot of air trapped in the system.

Last edited by GoRemote; 12-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks for the "how to." I'll try this over the weekend. I'm trying to visualize your bottle meathod. Any way to take a pic of what this looked like? Either way, thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

This is a closed system with an overflow bottle. So I would think that air would work its way out of the system. Tell me what I am missing with my thought process.

My only thought is that there must be a high point in the heater core that can trap air bubbles and not bleed out while operating. I would think that with the Jeep at operating temps that fluid would push all entrapped air out.

Is the heater core above the engine in a 2012 and later?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
This is a closed system with an overflow bottle. So I would think that air would work its way out of the system. Tell me what I am missing with my thought process.

My only thought is that there must be a high point in the heater core that can trap air bubbles and not bleed out while operating. I would think that with the Jeep at operating temps that fluid would push all entrapped air out.

Is the heater core above the engine in a 2012 and later?
I agree with your logic, but the sound would not go away until I burped mine... Maybe there is a high point in the heater system that releases the air more easily when the cap is off the radiator, due to lower pressure..?

Quick Reply: Fix for water sound yet?