Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insurance Company Recommendation

Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Company Recommendation

I have a heavily modified JKU and was just talking with my State Farm agent. Apparently, they just insure for the base Jeep Sport (which my VIN ties back to) and will not insure all of the mods (about $15K at this point). So... time to look for a new insurance company for the Jeep. Any recommendations or experience with an insurance company who will insure the actual value of the fully modified Jeep?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Not sure about the jeep, but I have progressive for my Harley. They let me specify a certain $ amount in upgrades.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Most will. You just have to buy a rider policy. I bet State Farm will if you ask. Be prepared for the cost: It is pricey.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should look into a policy that covers based on "agreed upon value". Classic car insurance companies like Grundy do this, but often you need to negotiate the value and provide an appraisal from a professional. The price differential can often prohibit it from being worth your time. Many times, Mods don't actually improve the value of the vehicle, they're usually viewed as a personal preference. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Working with an insurance company Prior to me working back to a body shop.

AMFAM you could add additional coverage to your policy for the added Items But this will not be dollar for dollar. remember you take something off to add something to the vehicle and Most times the items you take off cost more than the after market items you add on. Depending on how much you have tied up into your rig you may want to get a stated value policy but you will Pay dearly for it. and that dollar amount will also not be Guaranteed as you will have to do this every year by a lics Appraiser. The insurance will do the same when a Loss happens also. Every insurance company is different you may have to shop around to get the best fit. Progressive for motorcycles is the Best company to have for both Bikes and RV's Autos no so much they will put used and a/m parts all over your vehicle.

Adding Sleeves gussets Lift will not add much if any value to the vehicle. Same with wheels and tires, Rocker rails will ad some value. And Most adjusters will not have a clue what you are talking about unless they are in to Off roading and jeeps.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Well... while State Farm will not do a "Stated Value" policy to cover the Jeep, it looks like Farmers Insurance will. Fingers crossed that it's not going to cost me more than the Jeep itself!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil997
Well... while State Farm will not do a "Stated Value" policy to cover the Jeep, it looks like Farmers Insurance will. Fingers crossed that it's not going to cost me more than the Jeep itself!
Check back and let us know how the quote compares to a regular policy on your Jeep.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Neil997
I have a heavily modified JKU and was just talking with my State Farm agent. Apparently, they just insure for the base Jeep Sport (which my VIN ties back to) and will not insure all of the mods (about $15K at this point). So... time to look for a new insurance company for the Jeep. Any recommendations or experience with an insurance company who will insure the actual value of the fully modified Jeep?
Weird.. My wife and I have state farm for both jeeps... they insured every mod I have. They just requested I keep receipts or invoices for all mods. Your agent sucks.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reave
Weird.. My wife and I have state farm for both jeeps... they insured every mod I have. They just requested I keep receipts or invoices for all mods. Your agent sucks.
X2 on the receipts and/or invoices for all mods.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Reave
Yeah same here. My agent said "If it's on your jeep, it's covered." He even said if I don't have a receipt for a part but can find it on the Internet, that's good enough too. Find a new agent.

Quick Reply: Insurance Company Recommendation