Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep truck next gen?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep truck next gen?

Thanks to Northridge4x4 for this facebook post
Jeep Wrangler pickup and baby Wrangler in the works? | Fox News

A Jeep pickup truck?

You asked for it, and you just might get it.

Speaking at the Detroit Auto Show, Jeep President and CEO Mike Manley hinted that the off-road automaker is seriously considering putting a Wrangler-based pickup truck into production.

“That, maybe next generation, is a big opportunity for us to expand Wrangler as a brand,” Manley told FoxNews.com, adding that customers in the United States have shown a strong interest in just such a vehicle.

See: Double-wide Jeep Wrangler owns the road

Jeep currently offers a JK-8 pickup truck conversion kit for the four-door Wrangler Unlimited through Chrysler’s Mopar parts and accessories division that Manley said has exceeded expectations.

“It’s sold incredibly well,” Manley said, “but there’s still that demand for a factory-produced Wrangler pickup.”

Jeep last offered one in 1986 called the Scrambler, but Manley is a fan of the idea and has green-lighted several Wrangler pickup concepts in recent years, including the retro-styled JK-12 and Mighty FC, which features a unique cab-over-engine design.

Jeep sold over 141,000 Wranglers in 2012, up from 122,000 in 2011, making it the brand’s second most popular vehicle behind the Grand Cherokee. But when it comes to increasing sales, bigger may not be the only way to make things better. A smaller Wrangler could also be in the brand’s future.

“Where we are with Wrangler today is much bigger than where we stared off,” Manley says, citing safety regulations that have added size and weight to the vehicle over the years.

He doesn’t suggest replacing the Wrangler outright with a smaller vehicle, but believes there’s an opportunity to make a more compact model that picks up some of its design cues.

Read more: Jeep Wrangler pickup and baby Wrangler in the works? | Fox News
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I dont know bout a compact wrangler but the truck i would consider down the road.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually supper excited for both models. I'm defiantly buying the compact version if its going back to the CJ/YJ or even a jeep willy size.
I loved my YJ and I think they should have kept the JK the same size and only have widened the 4 door version and not the 2.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

THEY NEED TO PRODUCE THE JEEP GLADIATOR!!!

Ya to see both a smaller wrangler and pickup would be cool. I agree with your comment Spoon, would be cool to have a slightly smaller wrangler for really tight trails! Although the Jk 2 door is actually slightly shorter than the TJ lol fun fact i just read that suprised me
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

More compact? There's barely any room to begin with. The jk is perfect with its 2inch increase in width over the previous models. Making them more fuel efficient or capable is where they should go with it. If it ain't broke, why fix it. Keep the body size. Continue to upgrade the interior and drivetrain. The wrangler truck is a cool idea but i don't think it'll be successful as a regular truck. Chrysler needs to make a truck separate from what a wrangler looks like. No jk-8, jk- 12 or anything similar. Just a whole different looking unique vehicle to compete with the trucks that are already out there.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moz832006
More compact? There's barely any room to begin with. The jk is perfect with its 2inch increase in width over the previous models. Making them more fuel efficient or capable is where they should go with it. If it ain't broke, why fix it. Keep the body size. Continue to upgrade the interior and drivetrain. The wrangler truck is a cool idea but i don't think it'll be successful as a regular truck. Chrysler needs to make a truck separate from what a wrangler looks like. No jk-8, jk- 12 or anything similar. Just a whole different looking unique vehicle to compete with the trucks that are already out there.
I concur, different look in order to compete with other trucks such as a Tacoma or even ford's ranger.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome news I hope they do end up offering a Jeep Truck again we're getting one if they do! Thanks for reposting this Chris!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrHooah04
I concur, different look in order to compete with other trucks such as a Tacoma or even ford's ranger.
I'm not sure what the market looks like for a small or compact pickup these days. Ford stopped production of the Ranger and the new Tacomas are quite a bit bigger than previous generations. As cool as I think it would be I don't really see a lot of them selling but who knows...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Guys, Chrysler owns Jeep and Dodge. Dodge produces Ram and Dakota trucks, why would Chrysler decide to make a jeep truck that would compete with their Dakotas, which are already good trucks?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
That's awesome news I hope they do end up offering a Jeep Truck again we're getting one if they do! Thanks for reposting this Chris!
You need to get that willys running first!!!

i'm starting a Jeep truck collection,

Jeep Commanche
Jeep Forward Control
Willys Truck

I have the MJ, next is the FC!

Quick Reply: Jeep truck next gen?