Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need some advice, dealership lied... go figure.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need some advice, dealership lied... go figure.

I took the keys to my 2012 JKUR MW3 edition (#19) on 7Nov2011. When I purchased it, I made sure to ask several times about the gearing and other items with it. I was assured that it had 4:10's in it and that I would have had to order it specifically with 3:73's being it was built on a Rubicon platform. Fast forward to today, I am looking to get a winch installed here P.D.Q. and though that I should pursue trying to get the winch plate (that Chrysler didn't supply even though it claimed to be "ready"). I emailed them about the plate and received a reply rather quickly that included a "Nope not gonna happen, thanks for buying a Jeep". I kinda expected that and will deal with that later, hopefully someone on here has a success story there I can learn from. The real problem that has me pissed off so bad I can't see straight is what else was contained in the reply. It said that I have a 3:73 gear ratio. So, I call the dealership (I am going to withhold their name until they give me a call back to see if they're gonna make good) and confirmed that it does indeed have 3:73 gears in it. I didn't receive THE build sheet for my Jeep when I bought it, I was given a generic list of items included for it. But, I was assured it had the gears in it, in fact the sales manager and I chatted for quite a while about how nice it was going to be having them for wheeling. I hate to say it, but I kinda look at the Jeep a little differently now. I mean, its like I bought a Sahara with lockers and some other goodies. What do you guys/gals think? Do I have a basis to pursue this without paperwork stating it had 4:10's? Any input would be great.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go 37s and change the gears anyways!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Reesedog
I took the keys to my 2012 JKUR MW3 edition (#19) on 7Nov2011. When I purchased it, I made sure to ask several times about the gearing and other items with it. I was assured that it had 4:10's in it and that I would have had to order it specifically with 3:73's being it was built on a Rubicon platform. Fast forward to today, I am looking to get a winch installed here P.D.Q. and though that I should pursue trying to get the winch plate (that Chrysler didn't supply even though it claimed to be "ready"). I emailed them about the plate and received a reply rather quickly that included a "Nope not gonna happen, thanks for buying a Jeep". I kinda expected that and will deal with that later, hopefully someone on here has a success story there I can learn from. The real problem that has me pissed off so bad I can't see straight is what else was contained in the reply. It said that I have a 3:73 gear ratio. So, I call the dealership (I am going to withhold their name until they give me a call back to see if they're gonna make good) and confirmed that it does indeed have 3:73 gears in it. I didn't receive THE build sheet for my Jeep when I bought it, I was given a generic list of items included for it. But, I was assured it had the gears in it, in fact the sales manager and I chatted for quite a while about how nice it was going to be having them for wheeling. I hate to say it, but I kinda look at the Jeep a little differently now. I mean, its like I bought a Sahara with lockers and some other goodies. What do you guys/gals think? Do I have a basis to pursue this without paperwork stating it had 4:10's? Any input would be great.
Why not just jack up the jeep and check yourself? It'll give you a fairly accurate outcome which should help you feel a little less "shafted".

Jack the rear off the ground, chock front tires, and jackstand for your safety, place vehicle in neutral, and release ebrake, index the driver side tire with the valve stem at 6 o'clock or make an index mark then mark the rear of the driveshaft. Rotate the tire 2 times bringing your index mark back to where you started. Count how many times your DS mark comes around. 3.21 = 3 1/4 rotations
3.73 = 3 3/4 rotations and so on.

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 12-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

So 3.73 is standard,4.10's are optional.Take it back.When you ordered it,do you have a copy of the build sheet?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

window sticker should have listed the gears.....Mine did. Sorry you didn't end up with the 4.10s you wanted. there was a bit of confusion early on for the 2012 model year, at first all rubis came with 4.10s then the 4.10s were standard on rubi with manual trans, auto got 3.73 with 4.10 as a paid option then for a while the 4.10s were a free option..... something like that. I bought my 2012 in Aug of 2011. 4.10s were the optional upgrade for the auto...i think it was a 50 dollar option....you could always jack it up lock the locker, spin the tire and count the turns of the driveshaft to find out what you have......4 + a little turns is 4.10, a little under bit under 3.75 turns is 3.73....
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

I checked it earlier, you watch the drive shaft and turn the wheels. Its 3:73's. As for the 37's, yeah, that would be nice but not gonna happen super quick. I eventually plan on going with 37's but why would I want to add to the cost and have to re-gear? Last time I checked 4:10's will hold up to 37's pretty well, but I'd be putting a strain on the system with 3:73's and I'd lose quite a bit of pushing power with them as well. Thnx for the quick responses. The window sticker didn't have the gears listed, and I recieved a generic build sheet because they didn't have it and couldn't print it at the time.

Last edited by Reesedog; 12-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have AT, 4.10's with 35's and am extremely satisfied. I have heard numerous JKUR owners with 3.73's say they are satisfied with 35's. Some of this is perspective... you may be okay with them.

At this point, I doubt seriously that the dealer is going to do anything for you.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have researched some real life experience with some credible sources that 4:88 (stock 3:73 performance) or 5:13 (stock 4:10 performance) is ideal for 37's with a 3.6 and 5sp auto trans. I ordered mine with 4:10s but after researching I should have just got 3:73s for stock size and just did a gear change when I jumped to 37s.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just enjoy the better mileage and lower RPM at highway speeds. Don't beat yourself up. It's still a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case. I would take a Rubicon with 3:73s over a Sahara/Sport with 4:10s all day long.

The auto trans is geared really low - your auto 3:73 is equivalent to the manual 4:10 - look up the 2012+ gear chart and compare. There's a reason they made the 3:73 standard with the auto. Plus 3:73 and 4:10 are pretty close ratios anyway. On-road the 4:10 is only a plus with towing or with 35"+ tires. And if you go 35s, then just install 4:56 gears and have performance like stock tires with 4:10s. Make lemonade! :-P

Regarding the dealer assurances - like others have said, you're probably SOL. If it's not in writing it never happened.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

5.13's is overdoing it for the 3.6, even with 37's. 4.56 or 4.88 is as low as you'll want to go.

Quick Reply: Need some advice, dealership lied... go figure.