Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

removing stock front bumper

Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing stock front bumper

is it just me or on a 2013 is it ridiculously hard to remove the stock front bumper? ive spent about 6 hours trying to get it off now. ive finally got all the plastic stuff off now im down to the last 4 bolts that are connected to the frame? ive got the top two out they took about a good hour to get out with a ratchet after loosening with a wrench. now the bottom two im having absolutely no luck on what so ever they seem stuck on there. all of these bolts are just stuck like crazy. ive got it soaking in wd40 overnight hopefully it will budge in the morning is there any other ways to get those bottom two bolts off faster?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sm0ke
is it just me or on a 2013 is it ridiculously hard to remove the stock front bumper? ive spent about 6 hours trying to get it off now. ive finally got all the plastic stuff off now im down to the last 4 bolts that are connected to the frame? ive got the top two out they took about a good hour to get out with a ratchet after loosening with a wrench. now the bottom two im having absolutely no luck on what so ever they seem stuck on there. all of these bolts are just stuck like crazy. ive got it soaking in wd40 overnight hopefully it will budge in the morning is there any other ways to get those bottom two bolts off faster?
2012's should be the same, and I had no issues. Took 15 mins to get it off. Your's rusted already? I did use an impact tho.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
2012's should be the same, and I had no issues. Took 15 mins to get it off. Your's rusted already? I did use an impact tho.
no not rusted at all. there is just not alot of area for me to get in there and loosen it up the frame is in the way in each side of the bottom two. this is my first time doing anything like this so im probably not doing it right but it seems it should be alot easier then this
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

no not rusted at all. there is just not alot of area for me to get in there and loosen it up the frame is in the way in each side of the bottom two. this is my first time doing anything like this so im probably not doing it right but it seems it should be alot easier then this
Been a while since I did mine. But I remember the bottom plastic part came off first, then the main bumper plastic piece came off then all I had left was the metal part of the bumper left(the part with the 4 bolts). Once you have the 2 main plastic parts off I thought that pretty much opened things up to get in there. Like I said it's been a year for me and it didn't leave a lasting impression on me I guess. I just know I saw that bumper sitting in storage today when I went over to start up the other toy.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

all the tutorial videos im watching are showing them using some type of electric or impact wrench/ratchet to get those 4 bolts off. im starting to wonder if im gonna be able to do this without one ?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Been a while since I did mine. But I remember the bottom plastic part came off first, then the main bumper plastic piece came off then all I had left was the metal part of the bumper left(the part with the 4 bolts). Once you have the 2 main plastic parts off I thought that pretty much opened things up to get in there. Like I said it's been a year for me and it didn't leave a lasting impression on me I guess. I just know I saw that bumper sitting in storage today when I went over to start up the other toy.
ive got the plastic air dam removed it seems the plastic bumper itself is held on to those 4 bolts that are in the frame because my bumper wont come off without those maybe im wrong though but thats how it seems
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its like a 08 you just take off the plastic trim on top and the air damn off the bottom. Then you have four nuts on both sides. Just get the right length extension for your ratchet and you should good to go.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

all the tutorial videos im watching are showing them using some type of electric or impact wrench/ratchet to get those 4 bolts off. im starting to wonder if im gonna be able to do this without one ?
Are you using just a 3/4 inch ratchet? Any chance of getting a 1/2 with a breaker bar in there? or a piece of pipe onto the 3/4 ratchet if that's what your using? Sounds like you just need more leverage.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by woodyvw9
If its like a 08 you just take off the plastic trim on top and the air damn off the bottom. Then you have four nuts on both sides. Just get the right length extension for your ratchet and you should good to go.
That's right! I might have had the front grille off and removed that top plastic piece to get in there. I was doing the winch the same time as the bumper so I had to take that off too.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

I will looking into a longer extension in the morning. I am having to use an extension now for it already but it might not be long enough. thanks for the info guys hopefully it will be off by after noon =/

seems like the hardest part of the new bumper install is getting the old one off lol

Quick Reply: removing stock front bumper