Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Some kind of Gnarly mud stained my flares

Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some kind of Gnarly mud stained my flares

It came off the jeep with a little work. However, my two drivers side flares were washed and the mud that was there literally took a shade or two off the flares. Looks spotted, any remedies?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the same thing. There will be alot of suggestions after mine but I use Turtle Wax trim restorer. Mine went away after that. I guess the mud sucks out the color after it sets a while but no need to worry. Hope that helps
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

"Back to Black" it is a black dye in a little applicator bottle with a sponge tip. I got mine from Quadratec way back in the day, but I think they stopped selling it. Amazon has it.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
"Back to Black" it is a black dye in a little applicator bottle with a sponge tip. I got mine from Quadratec way back in the day, but I think they stopped selling it. Amazon has it.
Mother's "Back to Black" does not in any way have dye in it. Maybe you were thinking of something else. It is a white cream, that comes out of a red bottle with no sponge. I like it, and get it at wal-mart for about $5. A bottle does 2 applications. It makes the fenders nice and black with out being very oily. It also makes cleaning much easier. It last for about a month. It's more of a protectant than a cleaner. Before applying I use a "magic eraser - extra strength". That will remove all the deep mud that shows up when the fenders dry.

Last edited by Rooster76; 11-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 for Mother's Back to Black.

I used it on my fenders and rear bumper after I replaced my stock bumper. The new bumper made my fenders look really dull, but the Back to Black worked very well.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, heading out today to get some
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

I swear by turtle wax trim restorer looks great and really simple to use
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Bondo Restore Black is the best stuff I have used. Although I have never used anything else. It has a dye in it and all my trim looks brand new. 4yrs+ applying once a year.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ooops, it's called Forever Black, but it's in a little silver bottle. I put in on my old XJ's trim that was light gray and 2 applications later it was darker than the black body paint. Only reqiures touching up if you really gash up the fenders too.

h t t p ://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html

Originally Posted by Rooster76
Mother's "Back to Black" does not in any way have dye in it. Maybe you were thinking of something else. It is a white cream, that comes out of a red bottle with no sponge. I like it, and get it at wal-mart for about $5. A bottle does 2 applications. It makes the fenders nice and black with out being very oily. It also makes cleaning much easier. It last for about a month. It's more of a protectant than a cleaner. Before applying I use a "magic eraser - extra strength". That will remove all the deep mud that shows up when the fenders dry.

Quick Reply: Some kind of Gnarly mud stained my flares