Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the wright up. I did it and it took about 15 minutes but I put my switch on the Consol just under the latch to open the led. It works just like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need to find me a lego tire!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the kick start! I did this today on my 2013. 10 minutes later, works like a charm. Should have done this during the winter for the snow runs.

Sent from my KFOT
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zombieite
It's nice to be able to be spontaneous about it and not have to open the hood up. And it's nice to at least simulate the level of control that we as drivers are supposed to have and should have been given from the factory.
Pull fuse, install leads with the fuse and a switch inline, put switch on dash..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TokenMSJ
Pull fuse, install leads with the fuse and a switch inline, put switch on dash..
Can't on the 2013 and maybe the 12 as well. Fuel pump is tied into the same fuse...somehow

Sent from my KFOT
Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Love this! Did it today and it solved my problem. I am going to be using it on the Hwy because my 2013 JK dirves me insane with its stupid ESP computer.
Thanks

Last edited by Surfdogdude; 03-25-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How To Tuesday

Great stuff. Here's another helpful link as well...
Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to 2015 How to Install ESP Kill Switch - Jk-Forum
Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write-up. Will do this myself once I get back stateside. I also thought I'd share my learning experience regarding ESP. A few years ago, I drove my daughters to Toroweep on the North Rim of the Grande Canyon. The road out is 60 miles, most of which is washboard. The ESP enabled me to run the curves at a very high speed while maintaining excellent control of the vehicle. I won't say how fast i ran it, but I will say I pushed it as far as I reasonably could given the precious cargo I had on board (and the extremely remote area we were traveling in).

Conversely, I ran a 2015 Tahoe in some very remote areas of Saudi Arabia. One of my partners, in a 2012 Tahoe, didn't realize he should turn off the ESP once we hit loose sand. He very quickly overheated the tranny/trnsfer case, which promptly kicked his vehicle out of 4wd. It appears the constant breaking and adjusting of the ESP system created a bit more work than his vehicle would tolerate. First, we had to cool his vehicle, no easy feat at 115* ambient temps. Eventually, we poured water on the tranny cooler to get it back below an acceptable level. Then we had to get him unstuck, also no easy feat for a non-modified vehicle in shifting sand dunes. After properly instructing the young man on how to push the ESP disconnect button, no easy feat given his Marine Corps intellectual capacity, we were back on the trail. We ran another 2 hours across the desert at about 80kph. Not sure why Jeep doesn't have the same capability, but as soon as I get back home, mine certainly will.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so now the dillema - do I want to go with a momentary and kill at every start or a regular switch and turn off till further notice....
Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Everone !

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Made the choice easy for me. The switch works as described. Very happy with this mod.

Quick Reply: Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK