Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Better Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install

Ok...so, Poison Spyder used to use sheet metal screws for installation, they stripped or pulled out. Now, they use a nut and bolt installation system which causes hood sheet metal warping at the point of tightening each screw so, I initially installed my Poison Spyder Hood Louver according to the instructions but, I got the very visible warping in the hood sheet metal so, I decided to use 3M two sided molding tape and plastic push pins...looks and works 10X better.

3M tape and plastic push pins used...

I completely taped the outside edge of the hood louver and placed several strips on the hood around the cut outs, pushed the plastic pins through the existing holes and voila!...looks great, no warping of metal, tight seal around the edges and about 1mm stand off from the hood surface so there should be no rubbing of louver to hood causing paint to scratch and rust, should allow water to evaporate.

No worries Poison Spyder, I won't charge for installation consultation if you decide to change to my system...

Fatalis
Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea!

Even if you did use ricer retainers.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great. I'll probably look into this method when I decide to get mine. For added security I might do a handful of actual nuts/bolts just to make sure it never comes loose or could easily get stolen.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Even if you did use ricer retainers.
I know, I know...but they were the only ones that matched perfectly...
Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good idea! I like the looks of the stainless bolts but have one spot on mine where there looks to be a "dent" in the hood. Not noticeable to anyone but me, but I'm staring at it everyday..lol
Old 03-21-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Good idea! I like the looks of the stainless bolts but have one spot on mine where there looks to be a "dent" in the hood. Not noticeable to anyone but me, but I'm staring at it everyday..lol
Its like that mole on the end of someones nose...you cant help but stare at it...I know the feeling...
Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Will probably steel this idea when I get mine, I have 3 hail dents that are driving me crazy, crazy enough that I am going to hack the hood up and install the hood vent.

Originally Posted by Rippin'AV
Looks great. I'll probably look into this method when I decide to get mine. For added security I might do a handful of actual nuts/bolts just to make sure it never comes loose or could easily get stolen.
As for it getting stolen they would have to remove the u bracket and the two rubber windshield bump stops wouldn't t they?

Last edited by °IIIII°; 03-29-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by °IIIII°
Will probably steel this idea when I get mine, I have 3 hail dents that are driving me crazy, crazy enough that I am going to hack the hood up and install the hood vent.

As for it getting stolen they would have to remove the u bracket and the two rubber windshield bump stops wouldn't t they?
I dont think anyone would really have to worry about it getting stolen, it would prolly be destroyed in the process of prying it up...when I put mine down, I was about 1mm off center and could not lift, shift or move it once it was in place...and that was before I put the pushpins in...and, the U bracket does mount through the hood to the underside...but I guess if someone REALLY wanted to steal it...they could open the hood and unbolt it...seems like a lot of trouble for a $130 piece.

Last edited by Fatalis; 03-30-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Probly easier for someone to just swipe the whole hood?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pickjones
Probly easier for someone to just swipe the whole hood?
What he said...

Quick Reply: Better Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install