Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
I would request to speak directly to a Chrysler representative regarding the warranty on the speed sensors. My 2012 rig has gone thru 5 of them in the last 10 months and it's going back today for the same reason, lucky it's still under warranty (only have a few months left). Guess what? The 2012 model is not backward/forwards compatible, so I guess they will be pricey when they die on me again. Those speed sensors are junk and they know it. That is the reason they keep redesigning them almost every other year. They have gone thru about 5 different changes according to my service dept.
Geez sorry to hear that but it's good info to share. I wish mine was still under warranty. Have you looked into aftermarket speed sensors or is there no such thing? I don't want this to become a regular occurrence.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Geez sorry to hear that but it's good info to share. I wish mine was still under warranty. Have you looked into aftermarket speed sensors or is there no such thing? I don't want this to become a regular occurrence.
No such a thing unfortunately since mine are used only on the 2012 models.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

This is fantastic!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AtlJeepsTer
The reason the Steering wheel steps are done is because the Steering wheel angle sensor is part of the ESC system and to make sure it is calibrated right and not do it's job , if not for these steps, it could falsely think the wheel is in one direction and other sensors readings and cause you to have a major flip over, maybe during High speeds....That wouldn't be fun...LOL...

To Disable the system, not just Off, 100%:

Disabling ESC For Modified Vehicles (4WD
Models Only)
Vehicles modified with larger tires and/or suspension
lifts may experience early ESC activations as compared to
a non-modified production vehicle depending on lift
size, tire size, suspension changes and/or driving habits.
If early ESC activations are experienced while driving a
modified vehicle, the additional ability to permanently
turn off ESC is available. A steering wheel/ESC button
maneuver must be performed to permanently disable
ESC and defeat the functionality of the ESC switch.
Repeating the procedure will return the system to normal
ESC operation and restore ESC switch functionality allowing
ESC “Partial” or “Off” modes.

With ESC in the permanent disable mode, enhanced
vehicle stability offered by the ESC and ERM systems
is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver,
the ESC and ERM systems will not engage to
assist in maintaining stability. This disabled mode is
intended for off-highway or off-road use only. Vehicle
modifications requiring the owner to configure
the vehicle in the ESC disabled mode, will seriously
affect the vehicle’s roadworthiness and safety and
may lead to loss of control and/or collision resulting
in possible serious or fatal injuries.

The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESC
functionality in the vehicle:
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the
wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb
check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the
right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and
hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclockwise).
8. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESC disable
I have a 2011 JKUR and I have found that when I shift into 4W Hi with the engin running and the transmission in park then press and hold the ESP button down for 7 seconds I will then recieve a message on the dash under the tachometer that says ESP OFF. That will stay off until I shift out of 4W drive or press the ESP button again. I did not have to do the wheel dance or hold my mouth a certain way. I have not checked to see if this can be done on the move or with the transmission out of park. It has been my experience with Chrysler and Mopar in general that you normally have to be in park to turn off all of the traction control.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I enjoy doing mods to my Jeep, but in my experience chopping into factory wires leads to trouble later on in life. When you make factory electronics operate in unintended manners bad things tend to happen, usually in the worst places. Just my 2 cents. It is great knowing that there is an alternative.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by daloot8732

I have a 2011 JKUR and I have found that when I shift into 4W Hi with the engin running and the transmission in park then press and hold the ESP button down for 7 seconds I will then recieve a message on the dash under the tachometer that says ESP OFF. That will stay off until I shift out of 4W drive or press the ESP button again. I did not have to do the wheel dance or hold my mouth a certain way. I have not checked to see if this can be done on the move or with the transmission out of park. It has been my experience with Chrysler and Mopar in general that you normally have to be in park to turn off all of the traction control.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I enjoy doing mods to my Jeep, but in my experience chopping into factory wires leads to trouble later on in life. When you make factory electronics operate in unintended manners bad things tend to happen, usually in the worst places. Just my 2 cents. It is great knowing that there is an alternative.
Its off until you try to do donuts or lose traction real bad. The button pointless.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
I'm using a very basic single throw toggle switch. Above driver side dash speaker.
Attachment 411868
Where do you splice into the wire if you want to install on the dash instead of the center console?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdschup

Where do you splice into the wire if you want to install on the dash instead of the center console?
The same wire is behind the center portion of the dash. I pulled the carpet away from the drivers floor to find the same wire under there in a cluster. Easy to spot really. There are two that look the same. Make sure you get the right purple wire.

www.facebook.com/NewHorizonOffRoad
Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
The same wire is behind the center portion of the dash. I pulled the carpet away from the drivers floor to find the same wire under there in a cluster. Easy to spot really. There are two that look the same. Make sure you get the right purple wire.

Perfect, thanks. Does it matter what gauge wire I use? And do you know where I can find directions for removing the dash pieces to get the switch installed?

Sorry - I'm pretty new to this wiring thing...
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdschup

Perfect, thanks. Does it matter what gauge wire I use? And do you know where I can find directions for removing the dash pieces to get the switch installed?

Sorry - I'm pretty new to this wiring thing...
Taking the dash apart is easy. On the top of the dash in the center its basically a cap. Use a flat head screwdriver and stick it between the "cap" and the hard part of the dash and pry up easily (There are 2 clips located close to windshield. The rear part of that cap will pop up and the front slides off.) There are 4 bolt head screws in the face of the dash. 2 top and two bottom. Once you get the dash face off, everything thats plugged in can only go where it came from. If you are wanting to completely pull your center console, the hardest part is getting the 4x4 shifter lever off. Put the jeep in 4Hi or N, (Put on your E-Brake) Then pull straight up on the shifter knob. You gotta want it too! Pull hard, it will come off. I will take some pictures of the wire. I think used 14 guage wire.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Right where my finger is, there is a clip on each side of the dash cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141014_104107.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	579887

You will see 2 bolt head screws holding the dash plate in place once the cap is removed. Down by the shifter is a blank panel. Use your screw driver to gap the top of that panel. It pulls out easy, just be careful. Under that panel you will find 2 more bolt head srews. Then gently pull from top to bottom to pull the center dash portion out. The top bolt head screws are about where my finger is pointing

Name:	ForumRunner_20141014_104622.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	579888

There are two purple wires that look similar. The one you want is purple with a straight Light Blue line on it. The other wire looks the same except the Light Blue line twist around the purple wire. DO NOT CUT THAT ONE.

Name:	ForumRunner_20141014_105022.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	579889

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup