Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my pics. you can see where I spliced inline with the purple wire. I used a solid blue wire and installed a butt connector. Works great for me and all of mmy wiring is tucked away nicely. Granted if you are worried about warranty stuff you obviously don't want to mount your switch where I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4458[1].jpg
Views:	998
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	543574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461[1].jpg
Views:	837
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	543575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4457[1].jpg
Views:	825
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	543576  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Hey, so I did the write up and everything and all of a sudden the switch didn't seem to control anything and esp/bas/traction control were all off and lit up on the dash. I tried restarting the engine with the switch in different positions but still no luck. I eventually just reconnected the wires under the center console as they originally were, still didn't work. Today I just tried replacing every fuse somewhat related to the esp functions and that didn't work either. I have an OBD II scanner but it hasn't shown any problems. Any advice? Or should I just take it to the dealer? I'm off warranty so I don't have to worry about voiding anything
Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry no ideas here but please keep is updated I wanted to do this when I was off warranty but now I'm worried. Thank you.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Double check your connections and disconnect the battery for a bit. Did mine a year ago no problems. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Well I tried disconnecting the battery for a little while and nothing changed. I also can't see any place a connection was bad. I did get caught in the rain a while ago and it drenched the inside, would that have messed anything up? I tried the fuses but still nothing. Hopefully the Jeep's computer isn't messed up.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Hey, so I did the write up and everything and all of a sudden the switch didn't seem to control anything and esp/bas/traction control were all off and lit up on the dash. I tried restarting the engine with the switch in different positions but still no luck. I eventually just reconnected the wires under the center console as they originally were, still didn't work. Today I just tried replacing every fuse somewhat related to the esp functions and that didn't work either. I have an OBD II scanner but it hasn't shown any problems. Any advice? Or should I just take it to the dealer? I'm off warranty so I don't have to worry about voiding anything
Did the switches/functions work correctly when you first completed it? After you flick the switch none of the functions can be turned back on until the Jeep is turned off (even if you flick the switch back on).
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by olyelr
Did the switches/functions work correctly when you first completed it? After you flick the switch none of the functions can be turned back on until the Jeep is turned off (even if you flick the switch back on).
Right, yea it worked great for about two months then it started acting up.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2013 Auto and wanted to do the Wheel Dance thing as that still keeps ABS but disables Traction Control. The reason i wanted to keep ABS is i wanted the Hill Decent Function to still work, and (correct me if im wrong) Hill Decent works off the ABS system so should still work?
But after trying many times i cant get the Wheel Dance to work which is unfortunate, the feature must be disabled on 2013 jk's ?
So i will now disable it altogether by cutting the purple wire. I will use a Momentary Switch (like the jeep panel esp switch is momentary) not an on/off switch, so that way the system will re-enable automatically as soon as i turn engine off/on.

Last edited by Oz-Jeep; 06-29-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Well I have some good news and bad news. Good news is that the dealership found out what's wrong with my traction control. Bad news is that a wheel speed sensor and wheel bering is out so that costs me about $500. That hurts the wallet.
Guess the problem was never because of the ESP kill switch after all!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Well I have some good news and bad news. Good news is that the dealership found out what's wrong with my traction control. Bad news is that a wheel speed sensor and wheel bering is out so that costs me about $500. That hurts the wallet.
Guess the problem was never because of the ESP kill switch after all!
I would request to speak directly to a Chrysler representative regarding the warranty on the speed sensors. My 2012 rig has gone thru 5 of them in the last 10 months and it's going back today for the same reason, lucky it's still under warranty (only have a few months left). Guess what? The 2012 model is not backward/forwards compatible, so I guess they will be pricey when they die on me again. Those speed sensors are junk and they know it. That is the reason they keep redesigning them almost every other year. They have gone thru about 5 different changes according to my service dept.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup